Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 11-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

em27 is on a distinguished road
Default sercurity

hi just a little stuck on security for outings, we don't take the children on outings in our setting, they are 2-3 year olds. my tutor said do it for a farm park but i have no idea! i need to state the security arrangments and why they are in place. the criteria is k3h192, k3h194, k3h246, thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-13-2010, 03:00 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

kerrymarie is on a distinguished road

Hi Em,

I dont know if this will help or not, but I recently took a group out to a farm (they are 4 years old) and I can tell you what was included on our risk assessment?

* Give safety talk to children on arrival.
* Children wandering off, missing - keep checking numbers, pair children, hold hands, increase staff ratio, ensure farm gates are kept shut.
* Strangers on sight - Keep with guide, check numbers, staff at front and back.
* Large farm veichles and machinery
* Animal faeces

Its more health and safety than security, but it might help? Its the rosk assessment we had....
Unread 11-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Doodah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by em27 View Post
hi just a little stuck on security for outings, we don't take the children on outings in our setting, they are 2-3 year olds. my tutor said do it for a farm park but i have no idea! i need to state the security arrangments and why they are in place. the criteria is k3h192, k3h194, k3h246, thanks
Hi there, here are a couple of example answers I have found whilst researching this area. PLEASE NOTE that these are not my words or ideas, but I thought they might help you to answer the questions you are stuck on

Example answer 1:
Trips and Visits.
An educational visit is deemed as being an organised lesson or event outside of the school grounds where school staff have ultimate responsibility.
These can fit into three categories:
1. Regular educational visits – i.e. swimming.
2. Day educational visits – i.e. parks, galleries, museums.
3. Residential educational visits – i.e. a trip that involves an overnight stay.
All school trips need to be approved by the Educational Visit Co-ordinator (EVC) before they are organised. Once approved there needs to be a visit from a visit organiser.

The Visit Organiser:This person needs to be aware of each educational visit. They are also responsible for:
-Obtaining coach quotations and checking safety aspects of transport i.e.
seatbelts.
-Working out the costings per pupil.
-Writing letters to parents and location.
-Undertaking any necessary preview visits.
-Liaising with staff who will be attending the visit and ensuring staff are aware of the educational objectives.
-Appointing a visit leader.
-Completing a risk assessment.

The Visit Leader: This person is in charge on the day/days of the educational visit. It is their responsibility to:
-Seek and gain parental consent and contact telephone numbers for every child attending the visit.
-Ensure there is sufficient staffing for the visit.
-Ensure pupils and adults are fully briefed about the visit including safety information, meeting points and times, toilet facilities.
-Be the school's point of contact.
-Finalise pupil numbers and have written lists of all adults and children they are responsible for.
-Ensure they have a first aid kit and first aider with them on the visit.
-Ensure they have appropriate clothing and equipment for the weather conditions and activity. i.e. suncream, waterproofs etc.
-Be aware of any pupil with special dietary/medical requirements.
-Ensure any pupils with concerns are included in their group, not that of a parent helper.
-Ensure they are aware of the risk assessment.
-Report back to the visit organiser and EVC of the success of the visit.

Risk Assessment.
In my setting, all risk assessments are completed online. These can be viewed
and updated at any time and each risk assessment is a working document.
All one day educational visits need to be approved by the school's Educational
Visit Co-ordinator. The risk assessment is an important document and needs to be fully completed.

Staffing – Pupil:Teacher/Volunteer Ratio.
My setting follows the guidance as provided by DfES 'Health and Safety of
Pupils on Educational Visits – A Good Practice Guide (1998)'.
The guidance states:
“1 adult for every 6 pupils in school years 1 to 3”
“1 adult for every 10-15 pupils in school years 4-6”
Any volunteer helpers need to have a CRB enhanced check.
It is recommended that any parent helpers do not supervise their own child
whilst on a visit. (Unless they have been specifically assigned to a child- e.g. a parent to a SEN child).

Example answer 2:
Safety issues and concerns when taking children out of the setting.
The purpose of the outing/trip.
Enhance learning and provide stimulus to the curriculum, giving children real experiences and to practice skills and relationships in a different context/environment.

Planning a visit.
Is the trip suitable for the relevant age range, of the children? How long, what time scales will be involved including the length of journey times. What method of transport, if any, will be required? How much will the outing cost and how much extra help will be required?

•No visit will be made unless a member of staff has been prior.
•All new locations must be checked for safety and security before planned outing.
•The responsibility of organising suitable transport (with seatbelts) will be down to the trip leader.
•Insurance cover must be in place for the activity involved.
•All children’s medical/physical needs need to be considered.
•Approval of the visit from the Head Teacher needs to be agreed.
•All parents need to be informed regarding proposed trip at least two weeks in advance including any costs which may be incurred. Given the parents the opportunity to pay in instalments if necessary.
•A letter containing relevant information must be sent to all parents.
◦Date and timings of the trip.
◦Estimated time of departure and arrival back at school.
◦Costs.
◦Sensible shoes must be worn.
◦Transport details.
◦Lunch arrangements.
◦Clothing requirements in line with the weather conditions.
◦Equipment required, pocket money or cameras.
◦Appeal for helpers.
◦Request for up to date emergency and medication details.
•A permission slip MUST be received for every child. If any have not been received a few days before the trip the parent must be contacted personally.
•Have in place relevant supervision, i.e. parent helpers in line with adult to children ratio. (One adult to six children in Key stage one and one adult to four children in foundation stage).

The Day Before.
•The trip leader must ensure that they acquaint themselves with the correct methods of dealing with emergency situations. All children must be allocated to their group leader and a record must be kept and a copy must be given to each group leader. A record must also be left in the school with the secretary/office clerk.
•The trip leader must ensure that all mobile phone numbers of the helpers have been exchanged and that all group leaders have been issued with the trip leader’s mobile number. (All numbers must be kept confidential).
•The trip leader must ensure that there is adequate adult to children ratio so that he/she is available for organisational / emergencies duties.
•There should be clear outlined itinerary with exact timings and important information highlighted for all helpers which include a written list of all children with their group, detailed map of the location.
•The trip leader should also remind children of what is expected from them when they are outside the school.
•Designate a first aider.

Whilst on the outing / trip.
•All children must stay with their group leaders at all times.
•A pre-arranged signal must be in place for all children to stand by their group leaders.
•All group leaders must know the children they are responsible for and must constantly check and count their group.
•Whilst using transport (coach) all children must wear a seatbelt and remain seated at all times.
•The first aider will carry all medical and first aid kit with them, all helpers must be informed of designated first aider. Also brown paper bags and tissues and a least one change of clothes for both sexes.
•If any medication is required all helpers must have a list of the children within their care.

In case of an emergency:-
•Any minor emergencies should be administered with first aid and parents informed in the normal incident record book.
•Transport breakdown the lead leader should contact the school secretary / office clerk so that all waiting parents/carers are informed.
•In any grave emergencies the trip leader will telephone the school and parents will be notified according to first priority.
•The trip leader must contact emergency services and then the head teacher.
•The Head must ascertain the following the nature, time and location of the incident and the names of those involved. They must also ensure that a full register has been taken and which other adults are with the uninjured. Ensuring that they nominate a person to be in charge so that the trip leader can go with the emergency services. Have the caller’s telephone number in case they are cut off.
•The Head will also be responsible for contacting the parents/carer.
Unread 11-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

em27 is on a distinguished road

thank you so very much!!