Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 10-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

vicky.flanagan is on a distinguished road
Default Sorry me again. I wondered if I could have some input asap regarding my reflective ac

Today we had science morning at school and several activites were layed out on tables for children to make and today I was asked by the teacher to lead a activity of making Windmills which is what I did. She asked me after to crete a write up of what I have doToday is 14th October 2010. In my placement (xxxx name of school xxxxxxxxx), we were holding a science morning.
We had several activities set out for the children to do as well as a member of staff doing experiments outside. xxxxxx (class teacher) asked to see if I would lead the Windmill activity. In my group there were 6 children at a time which after these had finished making the Windmill they would go and do another activity and more would join the group.
With this activity I had to explain to the children what they needed to do and help them with the end results of making the Windmill. I also helped children with the use of a stapler, scissors and split pins. It was also noted a couple of children were left handed so we used left handed scissors to accommodate these children.
As this activity entailed the use of split pins and making 5 holes in the card to make the Windmill shape. I decided it would be safer for me to make the holes and use the split pins to put the windmill together in order to prevent any accidents that may have happened with the split pins.
During this activity we spoke about what the children were drawing, How Windmills turn and the use of different colours the children were using.
All children thoroughly enjoyed making the Windmills and were pleased and excited with the end results. I also enjoyed leading this activity.
ne so I can use this as evidence in my portoflio. This is my first Reflective account I have wrote up. I will copy and paste what I ahve put. Would someone please let me know If I am on the right lines of writing a reflective account and if I need to add any more bits to it please. I need to get this done tonight to take to school tomorrow to get it signed by the teacher.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-14-2010, 06:46 PM

Sorry I think some of my post is missing, My write up of my reflective account starts today is 14th october. What I need help with is advice on if I am doing a reflective account right and if there is anything else I should add to my write up.

Need advice asap.
Unread 10-14-2010, 08:13 PM

Please can anyone offer any advice?
Unread 10-14-2010, 08:48 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Doodah is on a distinguished road

What I need help with is advice on if I am doing a reflective account right and if there is anything else I should add to my write up?

I would advise you to put the numbers of the unit and performance criteria you are trying to cover so that your assessor can sign these off for you.

(I am using the performance standards for the NVQ, details of which can be found here : http://www.cwdcouncil.org.uk/nos/ccld-level-2, but you may be doing the diploma, which I should imagine has pretty similar standards which you can match up accordingly)

In my placement, we were holding a science morning. We had several activities set out for the children to do as well as a member of staff doing experiments outside (206.3.1, 206.3.2).

The class teacher asked to see if I would lead the Windmill activity. I made sure I listened carefully to her, giving her full eye contact, nodding and asking questions to make sure I understood what was required of me (201.2.1, 201.2.2, 201.2.3). In my group there were 6 children at a time which after these had finished making the Windmill they could then choose their next activity and more would join my activity. (206.3.1, 202.4.3)

With this activity I had to explain to the children what they needed to do (201.3.1) and help them with the end results of making the Windmill. I also supervised the children with the use of a stapler, scissors and split pins, as I realised this equipment was potentially dangerous if not used safely (202.1.1, 202.1.3, 202.1.5) It was also noted a couple of children were left handed so we used left handed scissors to accommodate these children (205.2.9) .

As this activity entailed the use of split pins and making 5 holes in the card to make the Windmill shape. I decided it would be safer for me to make the holes and use the split pins to put the windmill together in order to prevent any accidents that may have happened with the split pins (202.1.5).

During this activity we spoke about what the children were drawing, How Windmills turn and the use of different colours the children were using (201.1.1, 201.1.3, 201.1.6 ). The children were encouraged and praised throughout the activity. (202.4.2, 203.2.6) The children were able to choose how and what colour they could decorate their windmill. (202.4.3, 203.2.5)

All children thoroughly enjoyed making the Windmills and were pleased and excited with the end results, which have now been put on display (205.3.3, 206.3.5). I also enjoyed leading this activity (207.1.3).

Unread 10-14-2010, 09:40 PM

Thank you so much for your help its greatly appericated. I was going to put the numbers and units on on my final copy . What I wrote was just a draft copy. But you also helped me witht he units and numbers so thank you once again. And I appericate you changing bits around to make it sound/flow better.
Vicky