Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > EYs Foundation Degree

EYs Foundation Degree Please use this forum to discuss the Foundation Degree ... assignment queries, integration of information into practice and other areas of learning ..

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 07-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

muslimah97 is on a distinguished road
Default Route Specific

Hi, for my route specific later on this year I wanted to focus on Special Educational Needs particularly in the Asian community as I have found it the hardest to explain SEN to the older generation. However I have been told it may be a vast subject to cover and I am concerned that it may be considered racist. I am still really interested in the subject.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-19-2010, 09:14 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslimah97 View Post
Hi, for my route specific later on this year I wanted to focus on Special Educational Needs particularly in the Asian community as I have found it the hardest to explain SEN to the older generation. However I have been told it may be a vast subject to cover and I am concerned that it may be considered racist. I am still really interested in the subject.
I wouldn't consider it racist, but it may be preceived as not being inclusive of all children (in this case sen children).

I feel that all sen children have specific needs whatever their religion, culture of family background/class.

How about looking at the subject as a whole and then writing of what you perceive is a barrier - a child's community - in this case you are talking about the Asian community.

The Asian communities older generation are not sen, so you are stepping over the the 'outer boundary' of sen - of how the reaction and acceptence of their child or grandchild - but this could be the same with any older generation who may have experienced a different way of looking after sen children.

Many years ago, children were often shunned, kept away from the community, names of conditions may have changed and so has the way people treat and include them. All Children have rights now - sen or otherwise, so although you maybe interested in the way a different community reacts to a sen child, that isn't exactly what sen is about, although I agree it can affect how that family helps or deals with something.
Unread 07-22-2010, 05:41 PM

Route Specific blues

Thanks so much Heidi for your comments. Do you think that I should then focus on SEN as a whole rather than restricting it to a certain community?

Will the focus on SEN not be a grand subject to cover though?

A few more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslimah97 View Post
Thanks so much Heidi for your comments. Do you think that I should then focus on SEN as a whole rather than restricting it to a certain community?

Will the focus on SEN not be a grand subject to cover though?

A few more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks again
I think SEN as a subject is vast, so you won't run out of things to research and write about.

I think you could break up the subject into areas/sections that you wish to focus on, and one of the areas could be how SEN was once perceived and how it is now, this could lead to you writing about how the older generation or different cultures/religions are/aren't able to accept or understand about SEN.

This could be looked at as a barrier - whether the older generation/Asian community intend it to or not. If a SEN child is part of an Asian community and they live with their extended family and the older generation do not understand the current thinking of how to care and educate SEN children, does this affect their ability and cooperation in supporting the SEN child and their parents?

I think what ever you feel interested in should be the subject that you decide to study. If you wish to research SEN and the Asian community as long as you don't 'drift off' and remember to relate it to the main subject of SEN and keep to the criteria you've been asked to.

If you have some time, I'd start looking up journals, looking through refernce books etc to see if you can gather enough evidence for you to write of your chosen subject. If you are unable to find enough research matter, then you can decide whether to focus on a broader picture of SEN or change your your topic.

Best of luck.
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:12 AM

Many thanks Heidi -you're a gem :)
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:41 PM

Meena is on a distinguished road

Salaam Muslimah.
SEN is a very interesting subject! I have worked in that sector for 3 years now and i totally agree about the asian community not understanding and difficulty in accepting it. I don't think it would be considered racist as it is something which is an issue in childcare settings today and I have experienced it!!!
Im happy to help :) xxxx