Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 03-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Kate_254 is on a distinguished road
Default Your opinion

Ok so i am a level 3 room leader in the toddler room. In June last year the previous room leader left which is how i came to the position. A new girl started (a trainee) and it was one of those working relationships that didnt work. I felt she didnt pull her weight, and was trying to take the role of room leader and undermined me. She messed up the planning and the folders and lost bits of paper that were needed. Her care also lacked for the children, she continuosly took her hand of babies on the changing mat, a child fell down the stairs in her care etc etc.
I have put up with this ever since and been to my manager several occasions and had no real support with this appart from her being spoken to.
on friday i approached my manager and told her enough is enough and that i need more support and shouldnt have to dread coming in to work.
Today she had me in the office and basically told me i have to put up with this or move out the room myself. I feel she has no place to say this as she has never worked with this trainee.
Is my manager right in saying this or am i taking too much to heart?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya, firstly a warm welcome to the site

Does your responsibility as room leader give you the authority to help your trainee develop their practice?

No one should dread work because of what's happening, if you can take control maybe look to see if this is more to do with inexperience, you could then chat about training, safety awareness, refresh on policy and procedures, ask for verbal input/feedback or suggestions before changes are made to routines and planning. Do you know what sort of induction your setting offers new employees?

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 03-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Kate_254 is on a distinguished road

There isnt an induction! New staff are just taken round and asked to read the fire evacuation posters and the shown where the policies are (not asked to read) and then thrown in with the children. Beats me how we get outstanding ofted reports lol!
I feel i have done everything i can. I spoke to the trainee about everything, she's just not up to the job and i wish my manager could see that. She's just made me feel unprofessional going to her for help, and like i've just got a big grudge against the trainee for no reason.
I do have input in the training which i feel is unfair. I was new to being a room leader and shouldnt of had both responsibilities which i expressed from the start. But this girl is training level 3 through college and very near the end so should know this stuff any way!
Unread 03-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, I know it's not easy feeling you're supposed to get on with someone just because they've a job but as a room leader a very positive part of this could be in supporting everyone that works within the same room.

I don't want to upset you but maybe look a little deeper at the reason why you've taken a dislike to her and if it's not something you can pinpoint as yet then in being professional can you take an emotional step backwards and try to support her, and what she does with a more mentoring approach than beating yourself up thinking it has to be close friendship.

By asking for help from the manager she was being professional and trying to resolve something the only way she thought she could - it shows she cares about what's going on, which may indicate she is up to the job. Training & embedding routines takes more than one read or a reminder of policy & procedure sadly and is something that ideally should be ongoing.

I am sorry, maybe you could ask for a review of your job responsibilities with your manager and work out how new and exisiting staff can be better supported or alternatively work together and call a meeting to discuss what's concerning you the most and then work at ways of guiding practice?

Do you have, or would be interested in any leadership courses happening nearby, if you checkout your local gov. website you may find information to help with this?
the cost of ad blockers