Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 01-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
Guidance on use of Cotton wool ?

Does anyone have links to current recommendations concerning the use of cottonwool & combustibility please, have looked briefly but not turned anything up ..

Many thanks

Ruth
the cost of ad blockers

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

I know if you wrap children up in it you have to risk assess for possible allergies to the fibres.

Does that help?
Unread 01-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Administrator

lol .. there was a protective message to many of the search results

Reason for asking is that we were told a long long time ago cottonwool wasn't to be stored ... or namely, used for crafting purposes. I'd always thought that the crafting caution might of been due to a possible fibre allergy/asthma trigger, or even combustion due to heat/friction & static caused when the wool was pulled apart ... Tbh we didn't really use it to begin with, & now can't remember what the advised risk was.

The question has resurfaced & wasn't sure what current thoughts are & if manufacture methods have changed so all is now safe... not using it near fairy lights & other sources of heat seems to be ongoing - it also seems to be frequently recommended as part of a survival / fire makers kit so maybe moderate known storage only ?? lol ..

Will continue looking for information, if anyone has guidance from their EYs, H&S or Fire department would be very grateful to know their professional advice ..
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-12-2009, 08:29 PM

cabin is on a distinguished road

Well I now feel I need to do a 'fire test' on a piece.........
I've never heard of not using it other than allegies/fibre issues
........................ohww where are thoses matches...

xxxx
Unread 01-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Administrator

lol .. will we hear sirens ?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-13-2009, 01:19 AM

I'm afraid not....... a sad but true fact I am of the age were you 'played with fire' in the garden...my brother and I were 'not wrapping in cotton wool'!!! Although when I think back and think about how dangerous it was........ it wasn't really - we did it safely in the garden - and I think my dad was always watching us somewhere (or was it him that gave us the matches??) Anyway the upshot is - I have grown up with a keen sense of what is dangerous and what is not and how to have 'safe fires'..... if you get my drift!!
xxxx
Unread 01-13-2009, 10:39 AM
Administrator

lol Very much get the drift and the experience .. never could quite get the hang of twisting the stick between your hands on a stone .. but then I also remember it rained alot xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 01-14-2009, 12:04 AM

ohhh I've watched Ray Mears on that one....... seem's although easy- not quite as straigthfoward as it looked on the those old westerns!!!

personally I always found a magnifying glass very effective - but must have been sunnier where I grew up!!!!

xxxx