Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 02-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

misspotter is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Help with linking theorist

Can any one help I need to link a theorist to a counting observation and I haven't a clue , any help much apprectiated. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

suzicals is on a distinguished road

Have a look at Vygotsky's theory of cognitive develepment, he suggested that maturation was an important element in children's development.

So your counting activity would depend on the childs cognitive development. Depending how you are helping the child count. For example a child may be able to count to 1 -10 but my not be able to recognise how many there are in a group of objects. This would support his theory that their zone of proximal develepment had not emerged, but can be extended and challenged by an adult.

I think that makes sense its Sunday afternoon and I have shut down brain work hehe.
Unread 02-08-2009, 07:24 PM

SamHill is on a distinguished road

Hi, first time I have posted on this forum, but I have dipped in and found some answers when necessary so thought I might add a bit here!

“children under 7 years of age benefit from actually handling objects when adding or subtracting and carrying out other simple mathematical tasks.” (Tassoni, P, 2007, p.147). This is a quote I found from this book: Tassoni, P. 2007, Child Development 6 to 16 Years, Heinemann - if touching the objects when counting is mentioned in your observation this may be relevant.

Sam
Unread 02-08-2009, 08:25 PM

Thanks for the help, Samhill can you tell me which theorist this is for I don't have this book . Thanks again.
Unread 02-08-2009, 09:05 PM

Penny Tassoni is and author.
Unread 02-08-2009, 10:27 PM

SamHill is on a distinguished road

Sorry - Piaget - it ties in with his cognitive theory.

I have just done my fifth observation and I really hate this tying in the theorists business. Find it really tricky and spend hours reading the wretched books trying to find something to fit - is it really meant to be this way?!

Sam
Unread 02-08-2009, 10:32 PM

to be honest i dont think you can samhill, but a lot of these theorist you know without realising, as its kind of what you would do or say without thinking. :)
Unread 02-09-2009, 08:46 AM

Thanks Samhill for your help, I did know Penny Tassoni is an author but wasn't sure who the theorist was this has helped me alot, I'm not finding it easy to link the theorists either, but it's got to be done. Thanks again
Unread 02-09-2009, 04:34 PM
wishfulsinger01

am going berserk reading up on these theorist
Unread 02-09-2009, 08:00 PM

I know what you mean my new bedtime reading is various books on theorists!!!