Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD

Lv 5 Diploma & NVQ 4 CCLD Level 5 Diploma in Leadership for Health and Social Care and Children and Young People's Services and NVQ Level 4 Children's Care, Learning and Development. COPY and PASTE - search for plagiarism to make sure your work remains individual.

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 10-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

dancingfirefly is on a distinguished road
Default unit 410. Help! nedds to be competled in 3 weeks! argh

4.Encourage the recognition and appropriate responses to children who require additional support.

The only thing i can think of to go here is art related for those children who consitantly ask adult to make things for them. There for sugesting ideas like maybe you could use..... andy other ideas what to put for this question im stuck!!!!

help me!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingfirefly View Post
4.Encourage the recognition and appropriate responses to children who require additional support.

The only thing i can think of to go here is art related for those children who consitantly ask adult to make things for them. There for sugesting ideas like maybe you could use..... andy other ideas what to put for this question im stuck!!!!

help me!
You need to think more broadly than that. Whilst working in your setting, you may not be doing written observation constantly but you will be observing and listening all the time and notice from children's behaviour that some need support in some way to help them in their next steps.

You may notice that a child who has been happy to play on their own or alongside children is no longer happy to do so; but all children are different and not all of them are happy to just put themself in the middle of children who are playing, the disposition of some of them my be quite reserved and quiet from another child. a child like this may like encouragement to help them develop the skills to make a friend. You may decide that you are going to help them spread a blamket down and have a picnic with them, I always find other children soon join and with an adults support, it helps the child build up their confidence until they feel they no longer need an adult or you may go about this by playing a board game and include this child or whatever you feel is needed for a child.

What about a child who doesn't like messy play? they've never tried it, but they are worried about getting their hands dirty.

What about a child who loves singing and living stories but is too shy to go to the front 1. to ask if they can have a puppet, 2. To actually perform in front of others.

What about a child who appears a little unhappy ( and you don't initially know why) how do you encourage and support them? or do you just leave that child without any intervention?

It's always easier to deal with (as you say) the children with a voice, but some children are still to develop their confidence.

I'm sure you know how to recognise when a child needs encouragement and support (whatever their needs) and I hope this has helped you.
Unread 10-26-2010, 03:38 PM

Thank you so much. This is a great help. I have wrote my bit about art activities and how i supported staff and gave them a handout during staff meeting, and what we discussed about how to support children.
I will now go back and add these bits too it.
Now my brain doesnt hurt quite as much
Unread 10-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingfirefly View Post

Thank you so much. This is a great help. I have wrote my bit about art activities and how i supported staff and gave them a handout during staff meeting, and what we discussed about how to support children.
I will now go back and add these bits too it.
Now my brain doesnt hurt quite as much
I'm glad it helped, remember to say how to recognise when children need encouragement and support - by observing ( as well as knowing your children by speaking and listening to them etc).
It is not just activities where children need encouragement or support, we need to recognise when children need encouragement and support for emotional as well as physical needs i.e. transitions, family events, sen children etc
Unread 10-26-2010, 07:24 PM

all done. now to tackle the next question. Im going to give it a good go first, before asking you guys again. Thank goodness for silkysteps