Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 10-08-2018, 08:42 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

angie78 is on a distinguished road
Default Holistic development

I have got to plan something holistic that relates to childrens development. I will be observed in this activity.

I want to get the children to paint on cling film wrapped around table legs. I thought about not giving then any tools to paint with so they have to work out that they will have to use their hands, I thought this activity will encourage creative thinking, fine and gross motor skills as well as social and communication.

I just don’t know how to explain it when asked about holistic development. Please help!!

Thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-09-2018, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, holistic development supports the whole child so alongside them finding out that they can use their hands on the wrap - by being part of the setup or by exploring it after? asking someone about the activity or watching someone else take part? maybe you can also have tools available for the children that want them? This would support a child's own thinking about the activity and the reasons why they're interested in having a go.

Using open ended questions will help tell you about their actions eg. if a child is keen to develop new skills, practicing exisitng ones, some children may also have sensory concerns about using paint on their bare skin/hands so tools would make sure the activity is inclusive.

What you've said about this activity encouraging the different areas of development reads nicely :) if it helps there's a creative activity planner on this thread that you might use to focus or highlight what you're doing.

Maybe you could also think about ways the activity can be expanded so children's interest and concentration stays focussed eg. having dried autumn leaves that can be stuck to the surface of the paint, creating a design?

Very best wishes with it xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-09-2018, 07:10 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

angie78 is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for your reply, it has made everything clear now. I don't know much about holistic development and have been sat at this laptop for hour looking for information on....

Explain the importance of children’s holistic development of:
• Speech, language and communication
• Personal, social and emotional development
• Physical development

Please can you help. thanks