Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 02-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Juliewebb is on a distinguished road
Difference between level 2 & level 3 CYPW

Hello. Well I was last in the childcare environment 7 years ago (nursery), but meanwhile I was a teaching assistant in a First School for 2 years and have run parent toddler groups and youth club.
I am wanting to get back into childcare but am not sure whether to do level 2 certificate or level 3 diploma. Can you use the level 2 certificate award towards your level 3 later on, or is there lot of duplication?
I am going to have to pay for this myself as I can't get a paid placement due to location (not bothered about this so much). I have been told I can volunteer to work in the local nursery and also local first school.
Can anyone give me some guidance?
Thankyou

==================================================

Find support for each level 3 unit on this page of silkysteps

==================================================

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-13-2013, 06:12 PM

SammyLowe is on a distinguished road

I am doing a Level 2 and Level 3 NVQ Diploma. And i have just started my level 3 diploma. And a lot of the things in my level 2 work, is also in my level 3 work,its just a case of expanding on it. But i am only up to the first unit. But my assessor told me the rest are not the same. Im not sure if thats what you meant?
Thought id at least try and help :) Hope it does help
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:10 PM

Thanks for that. I have taken the plunge and opted to do Level 2 as this also contains Paediatric First Aid. Then I will advance hopefully onto level 3. Good luck with your studies.
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:13 PM

SammyLowe is on a distinguished road

Its fine, and yes, i have just completed my Paediatric first aid and loved every minute of it. Are you going to do a course, its just because i'm doing an apprenticeship, and was curious of the course, haha.
Good luck to you too! Childcare is an amazing sector to work in
Unread 02-14-2013, 10:43 AM

I'm going to sign up next week. As far as I see its one half day at the centre and then I will be doing volunteer placements. I'm not able to do the apprenticeship as have a full time job. I was studying to be a nursery nurse over 7 years ago and really enjoyed it, but then we moved to Northumberland in our own business. I'm hoping that eventually there will be some work for me somewhere, even if only part time, but am happy to volunteer because I enjoy working with kids.
Unread 02-14-2013, 12:01 PM

sheilat is on a distinguished road

Who are you doing it with Julie? If you have experience and rather than paying twice I would recommend you do the Level 3. I did mine through North East Childcare Traning. Its on line and well recommended.
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:23 PM

Thanks I'll bear that in mind. I'm going to sign on for the course with Adult Learning Service on wednesday.
Unread 02-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

kerry-lou is on a distinguished road

i would do the level 3 course because when advertising jobs most employers now look for people with a level 3 in childcare. new government rules means that so many employees in a setting must be level 3 qualified. i done my NVQ level 2 when i was 16 and i am now 23 and doing my level 3 diploma. there is alot of difference in the work as well x
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:30 AM

I was originally intending to do the level 3. However I will be limited as to how many hours I can volunteer in a placement (I live very rural and have other job commitments at moment), so thought I'd do the level 2 to ease myself back in. A lot of your level 2 CYPW now counts towards your level 3, so that won't be so bad.
I did think level 3 was the minimum requirement now. Does anyone know if level 3 would be the minimum requirement if you were working in a school with pre-school age children?
Unread 03-06-2013, 04:25 PM

Fairy86 is on a distinguished road

I am doing CYPW level 2 through my local council, It is almost all funded by them too, Just thought it might be worth you looking at your local council website to see what they might offer in your area