Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 09-24-2009, 08:25 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road
Default would you do a physics A level

without doing a gcse first? have spent all summer interviewing prospective students and all say they want to do level 3 BUT very very few have any knowledge. they have practice out of their hats but how do people think they are going to complete the work without the basic knowledge? if you dont know child development, if you dont have a basic understanding of the eyfs, a variety of observation methods and some theoretical knowledge you should be doing the level 2 first. i despair! are people to proud to do a 2 first?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

FARLEYS is on a distinguished road

I read somewhere the other day that people would no longer be able to jump straight to level 3 but would have to do level 2 1st, because like you say, how can people complete the work without basic knowledge........having said that i went straight to level 3 but had been a registered childminder for years, ran toddler group with planning, and worked in a nursey for 4 years before doing it..plus 3 children of my own!!
Unread 09-25-2009, 07:40 AM

yes i hope the new qualification will help!
Unread 09-26-2009, 03:26 PM

DizzyDora is on a distinguished road

Will it perhaps depend on what they have done before. When i did my NVQ many moons ago i was able to go straight onto level 3 because i had come straight from having done a GNVQ advanced in health and social care.
Unread 09-26-2009, 03:51 PM

i wish it did but in your case did you cover child development on your h an sc course? prob not, so why jump? i have interviewed people who have never worked in the field but think cos they have a degree in marketing they re too clever for a 2. what the hell has marketing got to do with childcare. i feel we are creating a whole generation of inadequately trained staff who are meeting the nvq criteria just about which isnt good enough. esp those on train to gain type courses with no teaching. we will reap this and the children will suffer.
Unread 09-26-2009, 06:58 PM

just realised it sounded like i was personally criticising you, far from it, just interested. i blame the college selection procedures where bums on seats far outweigh the advice and guidance
Unread 09-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu View Post
i wish it did but in your case did you cover child development on your h an sc course? prob not, so why jump? i have interviewed people who have never worked in the field but think cos they have a degree in marketing they re too clever for a 2. what the hell has marketing got to do with childcare. i feel we are creating a whole generation of inadequately trained staff who are meeting the nvq criteria just about which isnt good enough. esp those on train to gain type courses with no teaching. we will reap this and the children will suffer.

You're lucky that the degree people actually want to do a level 3......When they can go straight to EYPs!!!

Many of the EYPs (new to childcare) people think they are far too clever for an NVQ at any level!! Even though they have totally unrealted degrees - So in a year....which academically is often only about 8 months- many will become the highest qualified member of staff in a setting. Yet current childcare workers have to jump through hoops, with very little credit given for years and years of experience to get EYPs.

Rant over - had to get that off my chest!!

xxx
Unread 11-28-2009, 08:22 PM

pip squeak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu View Post
tutu

so pleased I am not a voice alone. I feel the same way you do and my main concern is the quality of care for the children. Yes, the race for completion is certainly adding to this, as is the 2015 deadline by Cdwc to have all childcare staff qualified to L3. I also feel the awarding bodies are not doing enough to protect the quality of their qualifications, in particlular, as you have said with the train to gain funding route.
Unread 11-28-2009, 08:25 PM

pip squeak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin View Post
You're lucky that the degree people actually want to do a level 3......When they can go straight to EYPs!!!

Many of the EYPs (new to childcare) people think they are far too clever for an NVQ at any level!! Even though they have totally unrealted degrees - So in a year....which academically is often only about 8 months- many will become the highest qualified member of staff in a setting. Yet current childcare workers have to jump through hoops, with very little credit given for years and years of experience to get EYPs.

Rant over - had to get that off my chest!!

xxx
Exactly .... pieces of paper and nothing else! Not all, there are some EYP's with sound childcare knowledge but a growing number who do not!!
Unread 01-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Avengelyne is on a distinguished road

i know this is an old thread but i'd just like to comment that i wanted to do a level 2 first, my manager wanted me to do the level 2 first... The college i applied to didn't have enough people to do the level 2 so i got put in the level 3 group, now i'm stuck not really knowing what i'm doing because gov'ment funding was arranged and if i quit i won't get it again which means i'll be totally unqualified cos i can't afford to pay myself.

When i asked why they put me on the 3 i was told that i had worked in a setting for a year (8mths actually) and had 2 children so would find it easy!!!!! Oh how i'm laughing now... NOT!!!