Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Childminding

Childminding Share childminding and home education ideas

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 02-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Autumn leaf ~~just floating by...~~

dream is on a distinguished road
Help SOS crb check

hi , can anyone help me out i,m a reg childminder , and recently my development officer came and said i needed two photos and crb numbers of folk who the children would go to if an emergency arose, well i asked another friend ( who i also reg) but because she was reg about 14yrs ago she doesnt have a crb check, i was just wondering could i still put my friends name down and write it on my policy ???? plz help

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

DizzyDora is on a distinguished road

Ooh that's a sticky one. As far as i know if you start work somewhere new you have to have a new crb check done each time/ or one done every 3 years if in the same setting (not positive on this last point, will check with our school bursar who deals with them and get back to you) Our head teacher had 3 done in 1 year! because she was new to our school, started helping out as an advisory teacher and doing something for ofsted. Should your friend not have one anyway as good practice for her own childmimding?
:sorry:Sorry not sure if that helps.

Last edited by DizzyDora : 02-20-2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Thought of another comment!
Unread 02-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

I have been minding 14 years and have never heard of this one!

It is good practice for you to be able to suggest places for children go to to get emergency or back-up cover, but not obligatory... also you cannot say for certain if other minders will have spaces on the days / times they are needed or whether parents will be happy with this arrangement...

Very odd... I would ask your development officer how she will ensure privacy etc for the photos and which piece of legislation she is working from...
Unread 02-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

This does seem odd, I'd ask why the photos & crb details are needed.

And what concerns or queries may of prompted your development officer to make him/her ask for them.

I see the need for parents to be made aware of anyone else who their children may be placed with .. in any situation. But for ID reasons face to face meetings with everyone concerned might be more appropriate.
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 02-21-2008, 02:00 PM

DizzyDora is on a distinguished road

Aren't development officers wonderful! Apologies to any DO's out there but i sometimes think it's been so long since they've worked in a setting they forget what it's like. Ours has come up with many weird and wonderful ideas and i very often think how the hell are we going to pay for that? or where will we get the time to do that? Bless them, suppose their hearts in the right place. Sincere apologies if this has annoyed anyone perhaps it's only my DO who's like that?
Unread 02-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

lol .. I think the job title is perfectly suited, any one that gives the opportunity to reflect on personal & group practice, proposes new, additional & alternative ones is worth their weight in gold .. even if those ideas are impractical, unworkable, & incredibly un finanially viable It can be tiring arguing against the grain, so to speak .. but for those occassional times where something changes for the good, external influences can be very refreshing.

It's when things become 'required, and are all those unrealistic things above & even more, that the brickwall comes out :muted:
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 02-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Applegirl

I thought it was only our D.O.!! Don't get me wrong, its always good to get people to think ouside the box, but the policies and procedures she wants us to implement (although good practice) are usually for situations that would never happen i.e all staff to lead fire evacuations in case only one staff member is conscious to lead out the children. Surely if 10 other staff are unconscious the children would be too!!!!
Unread 02-24-2008, 08:23 PM

watgem is on a distinguished road

Hi applegirl is a D.O. like a childcare advisor? We don't have D.Os and None of us have ever been asked by Ofsted to produce photos/crb checks of emergency carers.
Unread 02-24-2008, 08:27 PM
lindylou

I agree i have never been asked this it is very unusual and certainly the asking about the photographs
Linxx
Unread 05-04-2008, 01:38 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

your DO is making work for herself and you! you dont have to have anything of the sort. you do have to have an emergency plan but as you are all self employed you cannot assume any other minder can step in. As for photos, for whom? i would certainly question giving any of this information out esp to the LA officer who is there in a supportive role only. tell her to go and pester someone else! lol