Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > EYs Foundation Degree

EYs Foundation Degree Please use this forum to discuss the Foundation Degree ... assignment queries, integration of information into practice and other areas of learning ..

The hairy spiders rhyme.

Unread 11-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

KerryJSullie is on a distinguished road
Default Confussed

hi Can anyone help, I have a 3000 word essay to write on

Identify how adults can support children’s play and analyse the value of
this support in promoting children’s learning and development.

i have not got a clue on what they want me to do. please please help someone.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-11-2010, 09:38 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

do you not have a core reading list for this unit! read some of it and should become clear! this is very very basic FD work which i presume one of your first assignments to ease you in so it couldn't be much simpler. BUT like every other piece of degree work it requires a lot of reading and research there are no short cuts and reading is the single most important thing you need to do. If after research it is still mystifying then you need to ask for a tutorial and revise all your learning in this unit. if after all that it is still confusing then you need to evaluate if you are on the right course.

dont panic just read and read you cannot write an essay without the underpinning knowledge and short replies here wont help its too big a course for that.
Unread 11-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryJSullie View Post
hi Can anyone help, I have a 3000 word essay to write on

Identify how adults can support children’s play and analyse the value of
this support in promoting children’s learning and development.

i have not got a clue on what they want me to do. please please help someone.

You will need to tie everything up from your lectures, your reading list and also further research to build up the framework or your assignments.
It will be a lot of reading and research on top of the lectures, but you will probably already know this.

The following books may be handy for reading and dipping into:

The Excellence of Play by Janet Moyles

Understanding Children's Play by Jennie Lindon

Supporting Children's Learning by Lyn Overall

Scaffolding Children's Learning: Vygotsky and Early Childhood Education by Laura E.Berk and Adam Winsler.

You will be able to weave theorists and theories into your assignment -
what theories do you use to support children's play? and why? - keep to the criteria you have been given and keep reading it, so you don't stray and write a brilliant piece that's not relevant.

The books above have sections (and the last book is all about it supporting a child) with theories/methods etc, but there are many others.

You can find many of these books second hand on Amazon and some can be found online.

Don't forget to write down all your ideas, draw them into your framework of your assignment, so you 'are in charge' of your writing. Don't start writing up your assignment before you are properly prepared.
I know some like to start their assignments the minute they are handed them - but there will be further lectures and lots of personal reading and researching. Often it is better to have as much knowledge rather than rushing out the 'word limit' immediately.

After you have written an assignment or two you will find your own style, and your own method that will work for you.

Good Luck.
Unread 11-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

KerryJSullie is on a distinguished road

hi and thanks for the info on the books. I understand what I am supposed to do in relation to identifying how adults support childrens learning, but am I supposed to concentrate on an area of their learning or ability, such as age, ***, race or is it on creative development, physical, imaginative development.
Unread 11-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryJSullie View Post
hi and thanks for the info on the books. I understand what I am supposed to do in relation to identifying how adults support childrens learning, but am I supposed to concentrate on an area of their learning or ability, such as age, ***, race or is it on creative development, physical, imaginative development.

As Tutu says, no one on here will be able to help you with short answers. You have the criteria - you must keep reading it, break it down - that is exactly what they want from you. The style is yours alone for you to decide.

You will always be wondering whether you have done your assignments correctly or whether you you should have added this or that, that's normal but as I wrote previously, you will develop a feeling for how you plan an assignment and a writing style.

If you still have questions, either ask the lecturer, your personal tutor or discuss it with other students - you will have all formed small 'working' groups to support one another.

One thing I can't stress enough is for you to keep reading and researching (including journals), your assignment grades will reflect your knowledge.

A degree isn't easy - it's not meant to be, but when you have gained one, you'll feel a sense of achievment and know that you put the hard work in.