Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 04-19-2007, 03:01 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chelltune is on a distinguished road
Makaton products - do you have any?

I hope Ruthierhymer doesn't mind me posting this but I was wondering if anyone has used any of the Makaton resources - DVDs and books?

I am going to place an order later and was wondering which items people have used and your opinions on them.

The Dave Benson Phillips DVD looks good value, have you seen it?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

It's a brilliant question Chell interested to find out what members have as resources as well !!

We signed a few rhymes thanks to a staff member who was BSL qualified, but never bought anything .. must admit I do really like the Simplicity & easy illustration of Cath Smith's posters & flashcards
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 04-19-2007, 10:54 PM

Thanks Ruth. I love all the products that I have seen so far, hopefully one day I might have my own range, LOL.

The WOW signing things are lovely, they do a great fingerpelling pack for older children. The child wears a red glove and a yellow glove to remind them which is their strong hand and which is their weak.
Unread 04-20-2007, 01:46 PM
littlesheep

The Dave Benson Phillips DVD is fantastic :) I was thinking the other day that you don't have any Makaton resources!

The other sign language that is very popular with the ABA community is Signalong

I love those WOW resources too... mmmm maybe we'll have to talk drop shipping one day!
Unread 04-20-2007, 09:14 PM

I've been trying to get the Makaton range for ages but haven't had much response from the supplier.

I am also trying to get Something Special items as the Justin Fletcher DVDs are very popular.

Elaine, do you have the Dave Benson Phillips book? I was wondering how heavy/bulky it is. I've heard mixed reports about the DVD so far.
Unread 04-22-2007, 01:45 PM
littlesheep

No I haven't seen the book, just the goldilocks song from the DVD as part of the training I did as an example of placement of signs and sizing of signs.
Unread 05-01-2007, 04:01 PM

The Makaton Pocket Guide of Signs and Symbols book came yesterday, its a handy size for carrying around should you be unsure of a sign.
Unread 05-04-2007, 08:01 AM
littlesheep

Looks good - I reckon the Nursery Rhyme DVD would be popular if you can get it - my eldest has been singing the Goldilocks song from it for a while and loves me signing to it (that was the clip I was shown on the training course) and trying to copy it... I'd be sorely tempted to buy a copy!!!
Unread 07-26-2007, 08:29 PM

Chloe is on a distinguished road

We have one member of staff who is excellent at signing I feel usless ,even the children know more! Maybe I need to do a course?
Unread 07-27-2007, 08:30 AM

Chloe, is it Makaton or British Sign Language (BSL) that they use to sign?

If you did a BSL course then it would be an excellent skill to have (70,000 users of BSL as their first or preferred language in the UK) but it would go into the grammar of the language, etc - I guess you wouldn't need this with the children as they are probably just signing keywords. However, it would allow you to support a child who was Deaf if you wanted to in the future.

You could pic up some Makaton from the Something Special prgramme (on Cbeebies or DVDs) or a book such as the Child's Play First Signs. I think the Makaton Dev Project run short courses, probably just a few hours long.