Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 08-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road
Default cypop disability guidance - explaining the importance of advocacy?

================================================== =

Level three childcare handbook on amazon.co.uk

================================================== =

Hi Everyone, not sure if this is right could somebody check it for me please and guide me with other information if needed.

1.4. Explain the importance of

Advocacy/facilitated- Disabled children are very vulnerable because they have learning difficulties or communication difficulties of some form, this is where an adult becomes important for a child, the adult will represent the person’s point of view. Advocates are often volunteer’s, however some are paid or appointed by courts so that the child views can be heard. This is important for the child and is law for a child to have their views heard. The advocate should represent the child’s views rather than their own views. When there is a case conference children will not be present so the advocate will put the child’s views across providing that there is no significant harm involved the child’s wishes should be respected and facilitated, but at other times a advocate will work with the child to get to understand what they want and they will facilitate for them. Facilitate means that they will put their views across.

The personal assistant role- this is where we help children/young people to care for themselves with some guidance, help and support. A child with learning difficulties can still decide on what they want to do or where they want to go but they may need our assistance to help them achieve this, this will also stop them getting angry or frustrated because they are making choices.. A personal assistant will help the child/young person to be independent but give support where it is needed this will help them not to get frustrated. The children/young people may use different forms of communicating such as makaton so they need help to communicate with others so when they are out and about the personal assistant will help with this.

Thankyou

Lynne

-----------------------------------------

Unread 08-16-2011, 12:25 PM

wendy bob is on a distinguished road

hi Lynne,
yours looks good and this is what i put
·The importance of
Advocacy – its important that you are aware that some children or young people may require an adult to represent their point of view putting forward ideas, thoughts and views on behalf of the child. Its important you appreciate their views as this makes them feel involved and can help everyone make better decisions, it is not just good practice it is a legal requirement under the Children’s Act. It’s about giving children a voice and they must be listened to and you must also let the child or young person know what is happening. An advocate will listen, interpret, liase and negotiate to secure children’s rights. They can help parents gain information and support, and advocacy promotes social inclusion, equality and social justice.
Facilitated advocacy – is important because it allows groups to work along side decision makers to change the way that local services are run, they will put forward their ideas on what needs to be in place to benefit them. It allows them a voice to be heard and to make the decision makers aware of what is actually needed to ensure they get a better service.
The personal assistant role – to offer support and care and to help them achieve things that would be difficult for them but to also allow them to make decisions so they feel empowered and allow them to be as independent as possible. Respecting their views and personal space and not rushing them and putting them under any pressure. It’s also important that as a care assistant you don’t do the things that the child or young person is able to do just because you can get it done quicker you must always allow them to do what they are capable of doing.
x
Unread 08-16-2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks Wendy you have been a great help, many thanks

Lynne
Unread 06-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Children matter is on a distinguished road

CYPOP 6

1.5 EXPLAIN THE IMPORTANCE OF ENCOURAGING THE PARTICIPATION OF DISABLED CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE:

I wrote the following:
In my setting I recognise and implement the policies that demonstrate that it is important to encouraging the participation of disabled children and young people: In Childcare practice opportunities for children and young people to participate in decisions and issues that affect them have increased significantly. However, it is said by “Participation Works” a charity that works for children that; “this is not the case for disabled children and young people, particularly those with complex needs and communication impairments, despite them being disproportionate users of support services in health, social care and education settings.” Therefore the importance of encouraging the participation of disabled children and young people is critical for practitioners due to the following reasons:
- To comply with UN convention: Disabled children and young people have the same rights as non-disabled children and young people to participate in decisions and issues that affect them. This is outlined in both the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) and in the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities(UNCRPD). Despite this, disabled children and young people continue to face significant barriers and challenges to participation.
- To include or imbed disabled children: In order to effectively embed disabled children’s participation, it needs to be fully accessible and inclusive. The social model of disability provides a framework for inclusive participation; by focusing on changing attitudes and removing or minimising barriers that prevent disabled children accessing the same opportunities as other children and young people.
- To be professional in good practice: The social model of disability defines disability as arising from the interaction between someone with an impairment and the barriers that exist in the environment; these being physical, attitudinal and the policies, practices and procedures of organisations.
- To overcome barriers: Barriers and challenges to disabled children and young people’s participation sit within three broad areas: training, support and resources; knowledge, understanding and attitudes; process, systems and structures. Identifying and recognising the barriers and challenges provides a good basis for planning to further disabled children’s participation.
- To recognise that: Whilst participation of disabled children and young people is not yet embedded, clear examples of their involvement in decisions at individual, service and strategic levels have been identified; and a number of tools to support disabled children and young people’s participation are available. These include mechanisms for making complaint procedures accessible to disabled children, practical toolkits such as communication passports, practice guidance, training materials and multi-media approaches.
- Ensuring that: The participation of disabled children and young people should be an ongoing and flexible process, not an end in itself. Settings should routinely and actively seek disabled children’s views about individual, service and strategic level decisions as well as local and national issues.
In my setting or any other practice, by building this into participation work undertaken with all children and young people, disabled children’s voices are equally represented and will meaningfully influence the agenda rather than just be ‘added on.’ The question is not whether disabled children and young people can participate, but rather how we as professionals ensure that it happens. I have found the following Tools to be useful in helping disabled Children to participate in all programmes in a childcare setting:
Making Ourselves Heard: Exploring disabled children's participation. Based on a series of 8 seminars with local authorities, this book sets out the current policy context for disabled children and young people's participation, outlines the barriers and challenges to effective participation and highlights what is working well.
Top Tips for Participation. Developed in partnership with disabled young people, this poster highlights, in young people’s own words, what adults can do to better involve them in decisions.
Young campaigners guide. A guide for disabled young people explaining what is campaigning and how to campaign in your local area.
Disabled Children’s manifesto for change. The ‘Disabled children’s manifesto for change’ is a booklet and film that sets out what disabled children and young people want the government to do to make life better.
Going places! This guide sets out what disabled children and young people think about the play and leisure opportunities available to them and what needs to change to improve them.
If I could change one thing…Children, young people and their parents were asked ‘If you were Prime Minister for the day, and could change one thing, what would it be?'. Their answers are set out in a number of booklets.
CDC Inclusion policy. This policy out a policy and a set of principles from the Council for Disabled Children which are crucial to the development of inclusion.
Inclusion posters. This is a series of A3 posters showcasing each of the six principles of the Inclusion Policy.
Pushing for Change. This report from the Alliance for Inclusive Education (ALLFIE) looks at some of the ways different organisations are including young disabled people and encouraging their leadership and includes the voices and experiences of young disabled people on leadership matters.
Two way street. This is a training video and handbook from Triangle about communicating with disabled children and young people. The video is aimed at all professionals whose role includes communicating with children, it was developed in consultation with disabled children and young people.
Our play - our choice. This good practice briefing outlines the findings of a play consultation carried out by KIDS with disabled children, and includes signposts to useful organisations and resources on participation and inclusion
Communication passports. Personal Communication Passports are a practical and person-centred way of supporting children, young people and adults who do not use speech to communicate.
Include Me Too. Championing the rights of disabled children and young people, this website supports the National Charter of Rights for Disabled Children and Young People.
Listening to young disabled children. A series of six leaflets that provides a guide to finding out more information to help practitioners design ways of listening to children and to each other.
See Me, Hear Me. A guide to using the UN Convention on the Rights of Person with Disabilities to promote the rights of children. The first book to look at how two UN conventions can be used to support disabled children.
Unread 06-23-2012, 04:08 PM

Welshieschick is on a distinguished road

Lynne, what you put regarding Advocacy and personal assistance is spot on, I put similar information in when I did my NVQ3 Health and Social Care CYP as this also came into a unit regarding advocating on behalf of an underage child in my care (as a foster carer) x
Unread 06-23-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshieschick View Post
Lynne, what you put regarding Advocacy and personal assistance is spot on, I put similar information in when I did my NVQ3 Health and Social Care CYP as this also came into a unit regarding advocating on behalf of an underage child in my care (as a foster carer) x
Thankyou for your reply, it was signed off and i have finished my level 3 about 9 months ago.

Lynne
Unread 06-23-2012, 06:41 PM

Welshieschick is on a distinguished road

LOL Lynne, I read that this was posted recently !!!!! OOOPS SORRY ! X
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshieschick View Post
LOL Lynne, I read that this was posted recently !!!!! OOOPS SORRY ! X
Thats fine just glad my studying is over lol