Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > EY's Downloadable Documents

EY's Downloadable Documents Find a wide variety of working documents to download and support daily practice - indexs, policies, assessments and more

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 09-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

hennypenny is on a distinguished road
General question Photographic policy

Hi I have to prepare a new policy with regard to photographing children, CCTV, camera phones publicity images etc and wonder if anybody has done this yet. I have looked on the internet but can't really find anything useful - I have just taken over doing the policies so this is all new to me any help would be greatly appreaciated

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-24-2009, 06:44 AM
Gail

Ditto - I have been looking for an example too and as yet haven't found one ! I can't even find an electronic copy of a photo consent from anywhere. I thought there might be one as it is such a hot topic. I will let you know if I come up with anything :)
Unread 09-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya, I read this some time ago, it's for commercial use and although isn't useful as such it's a real alternative look at what a media/photography policy can involve - Model release & model release article from istock .. in a round about way it explains why this is such a sensitive area.

Data Protection Good Practice Note: Taking Photographs in Schools from ICO.gov.uk

You could split the two and have a media policy implemented and link it to procedures that involve Parental/guardian permission slips, which in turn can be included in the enrolement process or as part of your permissions procedure for ongoing trips, fundraising and advertising/setting promotion.

There's a Photograph consent form on BCMA.org.uk that can be adapted - copyright notice is at the foot of the page. This sheet contains specific named occassions where photographs of the child will be used, a policy could back that up with reasons behind the need for them - excellent for Parents information and the ability for them to agree and disagree to.

Building a policy that reflects your groups individuality involves having meetings with everyone to gauge feelings on the subject.

Some will be for, some will be against, some won't mind and others will be interested to find out more.

Identifying items, locations, modes of transport, technology and risk assessment.

Video recording - camcorder
Digital & 35mm Cameras
Mobile phone images/video
CCTV - security
Email & texting
OHP - slides and transparencies
Webcam - communication
Some media policies & permission slips may also need to consider if the inclusion of biometric information is appropriate.
In print - scan, photocopies and distribution.
Fundraising events - sale / distribution of goods featuring children's images.
In group use: diaries, learning journals, resources made from images.
Trips and outings - for diary use, promotional, nostalgic reasons.
Website imagery - promotional, information, advertising, electronic files, presentations ..
Promotional materials - leaflets, posters, pamphlets, event notices ..
ID cards - electronic storage - possible card loss,
Events - advertising, sale of goods, sense of belonging, well being and community.
What other appropriate and inappopriate uses could the images be used for.

To see what your policy should be and for your proceduces to include you can inform and discuss these ..
  • A list all of the possible instances where an image can be taken of your children.
  • On what
  • any specific locations
  • any specific times
To help with this you can get together list information that's particular to your group ..
  • of all your planned publicity events & activities
  • of all the promotional events & activities
  • of all the fundraising events & activities
  • of all the advertising events & activities
  • of all bridging or community events & activities
  • of how you'd respond to an unexpected request/invitation.
  • of all possible communication/advertising items that have the potential to include imagery eg: business card, newsletter, with compliments slip, headed letter layouts, press release images ..
    How these are stored, distributed, credited, payout, raise funds, promote or advertise.
  • of all the uses as play & learning, positive imagery resources in your setting.
  • of all the security measures that use or could use images
  • of all the Identity uses
  • How, when and for what duration are permissions obtained.
    before or after images having been taken, for a prolonged period or per event/ocassion
  • How long images will be kept/archived for - what the potential for use/re use is. If any child's image that had prior parental consent now needs the individuals own consent - age of consent.
  • Assignation of copyright - once taken who owns the images?
  • When images will and will not be taken, by whom and if image recording is appropriate - hurt, upset, angry, state of dress, recording evidence - injury, development, images that portray negativity.
  • of safeguading measures, ensuring Children that have additional reasons for safeguarding of their identity & location are inclusively protected without discrimination ..
  • of all the professionals, volunteers, visitors, friends, family and setting members that have and do not have permission to take, use and store images of enrolled children.
  • of any credits or documents that you use to back up, authenticate and source your policy document's content: Childrens act, Childrens rights, Human rights act, data protection, DDA ..
  • of all other policies and procedures you have in place that this may refer to and impact on - confidentiality, security, conduct ..
  • Managing and identifying vulnerability, inappropriate use and risk:
    How images are transported - what the risk is
    Where images are stored - what the risk is
    How they may be distributed - what the risk is
    Information sharing - what the risk is
    If any method of recording images should be restricted or monitored - what the risk of this is.
  • Risk specific to online activity - hotlinking, copy, paste, save of website images.
    -- Photographic manipulation
    -- Evidence for and issues of identification.
    -- Commercial activity online or offline in a controlled, uncontrolled, appropriate or inappropriate way.
Discuss procedures to obtain parental/guardian consent for finalised publications or fundraising products - once the materials are printed and ready maybe call a meeting or ask guardians/parents of those featured if they are happy with the look, content and amount of information given ..

Questions you might be asked ..
Why can't photographs or videos be taken.
or why are they allowed to be taken.
Are others allowed to take photos or video my / another unrelated child.
Isn't this a bit over the top.
Do you agree with videoing own and other's children at public events.
What accountability and responsibility are you willing to take if a problem occurs with the distribution or use of a Child's image/name.
Do or can you provide materials that help with families wanting memoribilia / keep sakes of an event.

This can all be used to start a policy introduction or give rationale behind/on it ..

A few sites for more information:
School policy guidance from Miltonkeynes.gov.uk
www.iwf.org.uk
Payment of royalties and intellectual property
Privacy infringement

It can also be good to weigh up/evaluate the reasons or need for taking images of the Children against risk & safeguarding .. how Children taking pics of each other appropriately and promoting their setting is so great but how considering what to then do with those images is what has the potential to cause concern.

I hope all this helps a little, it's not exhaustive sorry so please fill in anything you need to
xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 09-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

hennypenny is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail View Post
Ditto - I have been looking for an example too and as yet haven't found one ! I can't even find an electronic copy of a photo consent from anywhere. I thought there might be one as it is such a hot topic. I will let you know if I come up with anything :)
that would be great thanks - If I find one I will let you know - I have to do it by next week to be adopted at our AGM!
Unread 10-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

chickencurry is on a distinguished road

Are you still looking for this policy? We've got a good one we have had in place for several years?