Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 11-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Teresa

Default new eyfs

hi there was wondering if anyone had started their planning for new eyfs yet we a getting going but i would like to know how people are reporting to the parents has anyone got any ideas for a template for a report say twice a year, i know we will be meeting more than that to discuss progress but really wanted to know how best to set out a report for parents hope this makes some sort of sense

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-11-2007, 11:10 AM
cybertwin

Hi

we do one report a year at present and 3 lots of parent keyworker meetings, once a term. but communicate things to the paretns daily also

we have a form that i have made with the areas of learning on and the keyworker writes a few lines in each section.
most of what we report is verbal really, so feedback can be given by the parent
Unread 11-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Teresa

would it be possible to have a look at your form as our reports are quite lengthy and we would like to start learning journey scrap books but staff fear the extra work if we had a format for a shorter 'report' i am sure they would be more motivated but am finding it difficult to come up with any ideas

thank you for your interest
Unread 11-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

Cybertwin, can I ask who writes your reports? is each keyperson responsible for their 'key' children or does manager/supervisor write them?

Teresa, have you looked at the EYFS CD rom, it has some sample learning journeys on there, which I'm using as a starting point - but simplified!

We sound a bit like you - and I'm currently trying to find a quick simple method... I have just bought scrapbooks and the staff were mortified at the thought of more work!

xx
Unread 11-11-2007, 08:49 PM

Air is on a distinguished road

I am curious as to how some pre-school settings will manage the key person role...my understanding is that children should see their key person everytime they attend the setting...how does this work at settings where staff work part time?
Learning journey scrapbooks seem to be the chosen format...whose happy to share?
Air
x
Unread 11-11-2007, 09:30 PM

Air. our scrapbooks are still a work in progress!!! I'm hoping my deputy has been very creative over the week-end (paid time - I might add!)
As for keypersons - I'm now in a sessional pre-school, and do have part-time staff - and I am finding difficult to have a keyperson (you know what I mean!) every day, but each staff member has a day when all her k chld are in -and this is the day they are not rota'd for anything but recording/planning. BUT now they seem to think that's the only day to observe and can be seen franticly chasing children with 'ticklists' !!!!!!!! also they're having trouble with the fact they can observe other children - not just their own groups. ohpps turned that into a moan!

xxx
Unread 11-11-2007, 09:38 PM

Air is on a distinguished road

I am fasinated as to how settings who are sessional and employ part time staff are going to follow certain elements of the EYFS...I am attempting to encourage our Supervisor to be proactive and visit other settings to share what is working well....change is good...but also somewhat daunting...
Air
x
Unread 11-11-2007, 09:59 PM

That's something I want to do with the staff too - visit other settings. I'm quite lucky really ~I used to work in a fab full daycare (had to close as we didn't actualy make any profit! and they wanted the space back!!!) so I have that background experience, now I'm trying to tranfer some of those practices into the sessional pre-school in prep for the EYFS, although I must say the pre-school is really nice and I love the fact the children are only with us 3hours daily max - and not 10 hours 5days a week! I really can notice the difference in the children.
xxx
Unread 11-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

busybee is on a distinguished road

im just wondering where it states about staff being in every day there key worker children are, could anyone tell me where id find it we have not yet started the eyfs in our setting but i have been promoted and have loads of key children and would be interested also to see how others record their observations in order to report back to parents. thanks
Unread 11-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

brown owl is on a distinguished road

In our setting, we offer 2 sessions a day plus lunch club, if required. the children can attend both sessions or either sessions and we are classed as full day care. There are the manager/owner, myself (deputy) and 2 practitioners plus 1 on maternity. We all have key work children and are in on the same days as the children (we all work the same sessions).

My manager has (over this summer) worked out a form to follow the new eyfs and it is in the form of a tick sheet (she typed all the goals out under each curriculum heading). We are using it alsongside our Borough form as we were told OFSTED didn't want settings starting the new curriculum until next september. Although, I do believe that if you have 'mocked' something out that is a big plus.

Is a Learning Journey Scrapbook the same as a Keyworker Folder (where you write in comments, photos, special art work etc)?

We also chat daily with our parents/carers, hold parental consultations and we now send their childs keyworker folder home at the beginning of each month for the parents to look at and, if they wish, make comments.

We also send out a newsletter with the ELGs on and activities that we are using to help the children achieve them, our theme and any visitors to the setting. This goes out every fortnight.

sorry its a bit long, got carried away

Brown Owl