Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 10-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

nicki0161 is on a distinguished road
Default Activity for unit 308 - promote support well being and resilience

I need to do an activity that promotes the well being and resilience of a small group of 2 yrs olds on thursday (7/10/10) Just can't think and i am running out of time!!! I am already doing a creative activity that day for a differnt unit! Please please somebody help me!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-04-2010, 07:39 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Have a look at the link below, it may give you some ideas:

http://www.ebility.com/articles/child_resiliance.php
Unread 10-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

nicki0161 is on a distinguished road

Very interesting but still no ideas as this link is aimed at older children,
Unread 10-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki0161 View Post
Very interesting but still no ideas as this link is aimed at older children,
I know, but with any idea, you can adapt to suit your child/ren. How we build up resilience starts from when we are very young - the article gave you an example of a young child who falls over - one cries and rushes over to their parent, the other brushes themselves down and continues to play. Why is one child more resilient more resilient than another. If you read down that list, you will see it is very many different things (holistic you could say). So you now are thinking how can you capture that in an activity for two year olds? ....and the other thing is you are not going to see if they are suddenly 'resilient', but if your activity is right it will build up 'layers' so to speak, of their experiences working towards gaining resilience - being able to look after and out for themselves and not always having to rely on their parent/carer.

At two years of age you could read them a suitable story - whether it is in a small group or you have a large format book placed on a story board. How about The three Little Pigs, they didn't cry, but solved their problem by running to a stronger house or Jack in the Bean stalk. You don't have to go into it too deeply, just enough for them to see how they were learning to help themselves and being brave. Some songs show how characters 'help' themselves - Jack and Jill. You could talk at their level in appropriate language about looking after themselves. There is also a book called 'On the Way Home' where a little boy is being very brave. He had cut his knee and everyone he meets asks how it happened and he tells them various tales until he gets home, sees his mother and needs a plaster.

I hope this helps you - as you assessor will be looking to see if you understand how to help children gain skills to become resilient, how you put it across - they will understand it is not an immediate result - not something they are going to see at the end of the activity, but something that they are working towards.

The resilience list applies to all children of all ages not just older children, you just turn round the I am to Am I? i.e.
If you were two you will still be thinking 'Am I lovable and do people like me?'
and you turn round I can to Can I? i.e.
Can I express my thoughts and feelings to others and tell them things that frighten me?

They may not be able to get this across at two years of age (as children can not put thought into action until about two years of age, and articulate this later) - but they still feel and need to be reassured that they are loved, that they are important, that they are valued - and it's up to us as practitioners to make them feel they are. Feeling safe and secure will make two year children grow into resilience children. So any activity that makes them feel good and improves their wellbeing goes towards them becoming resilient - singing, musical instruments, activities involving jobs where they can help- anything they enjoy.
Unread 10-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Excellent reply already given, a few other activity ideas;

Building blocks - build up & knock down: Support ressillience by helping children's understanding that it's ok for a tower or piece of work that they've put effort into can be knocked down or taken apart - maybe, ocassionaly by another. Protect well-being by having procedures in place to help them bridge these feelings of loss and destruction eg: Take a photo of the work/model/tower and display, Invite parents/carers to view what's been done.
If packing away maybe put the model into the box with care. Explain how it may not be the same the next time it's taken out. Does your setting have a display surface that children can access and place made models safely for the session maybe.

This works for tracks - train & road, models made with interlocking bricks - lego or duplo, jigsaw puzzles, sandcastles, dough.

Ball games, where balls may be intentionally and accidentally dropped/missed when catching, throwing and kicking: Support resillience by ensuring children know it's ok to drop/miss a ball if their hope was to catch or kick it - protect well-being by reassuring, smiling and continuing on with play that helps develop children's positioning to catch & retai/kick a ball - throw or roll it a varying speeds, stand closer or further away to challenge.

Standing on one leg, jumps, beanbags on heads, on the back of outstretched hands, feet and moving to music or instuctions - wiggle wiggle fingers, what is the beanbag doing, wiggle wiggle fingers will it stay or will it fall ..

For older children 101 activities for social and emotional resillience on amazon

Hope this helps
xx
the cost of ad blockers

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 08-11-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: added links