Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 09-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

vicky.flanagan is on a distinguished road
Default Planning a activity for 5/6yr olds?

I am looking or some ideas on what activity I can plan and do a risk assessment on for the above age range.

As I am use to working with the younger age group I can not make up my mind on what to do and either go down the fun side or the educational side.

What are your thoughts on activites that I can do.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

mother theresa is on a distinguished road
Default risk assesment

hi i did a risk assesment on water play as this is not only fun but educational as well because they can learn about volume, and measurements as well as having fun. You could also do playing on a climbing frame as this also helps develop their motor skills .Hope this helps.
Unread 09-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, it's Jeans for Genes day on the first of October maybe you could plan dressing up activities or a blue theme - jeans, zips, buttons, laces, denim jackets, hats, bags ..

Cut up some of the jeans if possible to open them out for easier dressing.

Jeans for Genes and Preschools

Risk would be to check children can dress safely - clothes go over their heads freely, tighter clothing can get stuck and disorientate the children.
Provide enough space & soft floor covering for tumbling over, sitting/laying and hopping around with one leg in & one leg out whilst dressing.
Zippers can catch fingers/skin - balance the risk & the safety by having adults around for children to ask assistance from, to let the children know zips can be dangerous and to play with them taking care and to be on hand if anything happens.
If using braces & belts have adults on hand to check they're used safely, not spun around, used as weapons or stretched & pinged - unless that's the plan

If you'd like to extend the dressing to craft, this activity idea is available for prompting own versions for collaging with denim fabrics
Risk for this would possibly be glue spills on the floor - slips & falls, cleaning up routines/procedures would be needed.
Hand washing after glue activities helps to stop anything entering eyes, hair or mouth.
Mark making tools - felt pens in the mouth can be messy. You would need to check they are non toxic and safe for children's use. Mark making on skin may or maynot be appropriate.
Scissor use - cuts & injury, have adults on hand for guidance and assistance where necessary. Fabric can be quite difficult to handle when cutting, if you find this is the case you could prepare some sheets by gluing the fabric to paper and leaving to dry/stiffen before providing as part of an activity.
String - if making puppets, can cause rope burns if pulled through/across hands and skin and also be a risk for strangulation, check the length of string that's around and have adults nearby for assistance.

If fund raising, risk is to ensure monies aren't lost and that parents know who the money is going to and why.

An alternative activity would be to use cut out jean pockets for hide & find games - play phones, coins, receipts, keys, wallet, purse ..
Risk might be that you turn your setting into pick pockets protect children's rights/wellbeing by explaining games like this are fun but that if the pocket belongs to someone else they should check and ask permission before looking for what's inside.

Hth, have fun with what you do xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 09-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

vicky.flanagan is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your help, AlthoughI wouldn't be able to do jeans for genes day as I am not in placement on that day. But I will look in to the water play one as anyone else got any more ideas?
Unread 11-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Flower is on a distinguished road

i have to do one plan activitie for each age group 0-3,3-7,7-12 and 12-16
i have no idea from 7 and above as i work with 2 and a half to 5 years old any body got any pointers for me please just so i know roughly the right way to go on this thank you kindly!