Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 04-09-2019, 12:19 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Julienewm is on a distinguished road
Default PANCO, (Physical activity and nutrition co ordinator)

Hi, I am currently studying my level 4 and part of this is training as a physical activity and nutrition co-ordinator (PANCO). Is there anyone that could offer any advice / suggestions or information on how the PANCO 'meets the needs' of physical development, nutrition and well being of the children and the staff in your setting.

Has your setting improved since having a PANCO?

How has the PANCO helped the staff?

My setting does not currently have a PANCO, so this will be my role once I become qualified. So any guidance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-12-2019, 01:15 PM

PashanaKel is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I qualified as a PANCO last year, I have made a vast difference in my setting in such a short space of time. I only evelauate one space at a time, before moving on to another. I would recommend using a PANCO planning template.
So far I have improved some of the outdoor space to involve more physical challenges for the children. Obstacles for the children to balance and slither under, I have also moved equipment to allow the children more room to run freely.
I recently made changes to our staff policy to benefit all practitioners health and well being, just little changes that can make a big difference. A ban on all junk food, practitioner are encouraged to bring healthy and nutritious food and drink into the staff room. We also have a water only rule, practitioners are only to drink water in front of the children.

Have you thought of any changes that your setting could benefit from?

If you have any questions I am very happy to help.
Unread 04-12-2019, 02:13 PM

Julienewm is on a distinguished road

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience as a PANCO so far and your recommendations.
I do have one area of my setting in mind to change that would benefit the children’s physical development.
At the moment we have a few 2 year olds that just want to climb, on tables, sinks, easels. Etc. We are a free flow setting, the children have access to the outdoor area continuously. The outdoor area does have opportunities for the children to climb, however the indoors doesn’t. Not all children want to play outside, so I would like to introduce equipment indoors to give the children the opportunity to be able to climb inside safely.

With regards to nutrition, the setting is already following guidelines to ensure the children’s nutritional requirements are being met. However staff could be encouraged to eat more healthier food in the staff room. The changes that you have made in your setting, could benefit my work place too.

I agree I would focus on one area at a time, I have seen the PANCO planning template, it does look like a useful tool.
Unread 04-12-2019, 02:35 PM

PashanaKel is on a distinguished road

Hello
You will find, as you begin to evaluate new spaces around your setting that it might only be a little change that is needed, but it could make a huge difference to the children, staff and the whole environment.

Having a PANCO in a setting is definitely a worthwhile and rewarding job role, I hope you enjoy your PANCO role.