Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD

Training, Qualifications & CPD These forums contain details on different courses, ideas and links to help with opportunities in many aspects of continuing own and groups's personal development. If you have any questions or can help with information relating to training & further education .. firstly thankyou and please feel free to use these forums .. NB: All Silkysteps forums are public - Please post responsibly and professionally & always get in touch if needed ..

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 06-05-2008, 07:54 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road
Default Knowledge Evidence in NVQs

hi all. been reading the threads with great interest but very confused that so many people seem to be using the knowledge evidence as questions, turning them into questions and then answering them. or may be i am misunderstanding which is highly likely! page 13 of the student handbook specifically says they are not questions to be answered but knowledge to be shown by observation or discussion, so real life answers not theoretical ones.

what do people think? what are they being advised i would be very interested to know
cheers all.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Butterflyfllutterby

From what i can understand everyone seems to tackle the NVQ's in a different way.
Some are doing essays incorporating the knowledge questions. I am answering the knowledge and understanding as questions but where possible i answer as you have mentioned what i do within my setting. I thought the whole point of NVQ is that everyone would be singing from the same hymn sheet so to speak. I am doing mine through a private company.
Unread 06-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, I would like to think Tutoring styles vary as much as anything else and where a particular model is found to return the required results whilst supporting students in their own individual learning styles .. I can't see how that can possibly fail.

Do you know why the Handbook states knowledge evidence shouldn't be presented or primarily asked as a question ... when, in answering sourced questions/statements whether as a reflective account, observation or discussion it demonstates knowledge and provides the evidence that's being requested ..
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 06-06-2008, 10:00 AM
nuttynik

My assessor wants to observe all the pc's and do a professional discussion for all the ke. I have chosen units that cross reference a lot so hoping I will finish this quicker. I'm doing my course through the Adult Education College and in placement 3 days a week. I also intend to use reflective accounts and prior learning from my level 2 for the ke.
Unread 06-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Sounds great It is a tough one as the very nature of the way CCLD Knowledge Evidence is written, as mentioned before lends itself extremely openly to regulatory, tutor & student needs. Tutors, Assessors & Verifiers qualify to assess what's required and to present questions, tasks & assignments maybe based on that - where students have the same flexible access they interpret the requirements in a way that best suits them - enabling everyone to act.

The entire nvq structure is absolutely excellent in that it allows everyone the freedom to look for answers that are individual to them - whilst also allowing Tutors the employment opportunities that promote unique individuality... inimitable

There may be better or alternative ways of presenting what's required for evidencing (origins of other qualifications possibly) or stating in the Candidate handbook that ke can be used as questions ... but as a whole I can only see that as hindering one or another in the long run.

For sustainability I think the current system looks good.

Does anyone know if there are plans to reduce the price of handbook guides ?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 06-07-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Do you know why the Handbook states knowledge evidence shouldn't be presented or primarily asked as a question ... when, in answering sourced questions/statements whether as a reflective account, observation or discussion it demonstates knowledge and provides the evidence that's being requested ..

those are all valid ways of assessment BUT just taking the know and changing the element to a question and writing a written answer isnt. if it was anyone could do the qualification and write the answers! they need to observed or discussed not just written out.
like i said i may have misunderstood but have seen many posts saying i am answering K 111lll and this shouldn't be the case unless it is part of a planned q and a session or a professional discussion. the reflective account shouldn't be a series of answers.

i don't think it is up to the provider to interpret the cache guidelines which are clear! i work for private and stat providers and no one asks students to turn the Ks into questions and answer them as a stand alone task, simply because in the cache guidelines it says not to! this doesn't hinder the lecturers ability to personalise the teaching or the assessors choice of tool.
Unread 06-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Administrator

I think you'll find many members join and post once they've reached the 'end of the tether' or met a stumbling block in how to proceed. The way new threads are worded is individual and replies are given without bias.

Posts made on Silkysteps could indeed be part of planned Q&A sessions, professional discussions or be forming the basis of assignments, it may be that it's hard to isolate specific needs to ask about within the knowledge evidence and still be able to let other readers know what it is in reference to .. tbh no one really expects members to have to justify themselves or their circumstances, only to provide the basic facts of what they need help in .. we all usually go from there ..

If students do feel they have been misled in how to supply and gain the necessary knowledge for certain aspects of their coursework then I hope they have the means to address that - as indeed I do & probably more so for Tutors whose methodologies and standards of own training may be questioned.

The internet is a fab place to obtain information, with forums being an ideal platform for letting others know about it, I'm proud to be able to offer a constructive corner of t'internet to help do so without calling the professionalism of others into doubt or cause anyone struggling not to post because of the possibility of known or unknown protocol.

As a side, if anyone does know of an openly accessible online guide, 'ACAS of avenues or even Assessor written 'How to's & guides of what to expect as an NVQ candidate or Assessor please feel free to post ...

xx
the cost of ad blockers

Last edited by Ruthierhyme : 06-08-2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: *edit
Unread 06-08-2008, 11:31 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

sally23 is on a distinguished road

The way I answer my k & u is never a quick answer to a qustion I wish it was!!
I research from the internet draw on my own experience and working practice and if Im really stuck I do post on here for guidence from these lovely people
Its good to know how other people have approached these units but only to give you help in looking how YOU will answer it. I think that every nvq is individual to the person who is doing it and as long as every candidate has showed in many varing formats that they have reached the standard required then it is a valubale qualification.
What I would like to see is the salary for these professionals reflected in all the hard work that we have done and do!!!

'Jumps down off soap box'
Unread 06-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Hannahlg

Im answering the knowledge questions buy saying how i do it in my practice.

for exmaples today i have been writting about secuity arrnagmanets wen children arrvie and depasute from the setting. I have wrote about how my setting (childminding)deals with childre arriving and deapatuing from the setting. I allways try to wirte about how i deal with each situonaction etc as i think it shows the assers that i know how to deal with each sitnation etc.

we have been given a child protection prodject a child development prodject and a transtion assgemant to do on my cousre. We was jsut told to cover the pc's and knoweldge how ever we wont. i have coved quite a bit when my asser has obsaved me
Unread 06-13-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahlg View Post
Im answering the knowledge questions buy saying how i do it in my practice.

for exmaples today i have been writting about secuity arrnagmanets wen children arrvie and depasute from the setting. I have wrote about how my setting (childminding)deals with childre arriving and deapatuing from the setting. I allways try to wirte about how i deal with each situonaction etc as i think it shows the assers that i know how to deal with each sitnation etc.

we have been given a child protection prodject a child development prodject and a transtion assgemant to do on my cousre. We was jsut told to cover the pc's and knoweldge how ever we wont. i have coved quite a bit when my asser has obsaved me
ah i see so what i would call a reflective account or maybe an assignment. its so fascinating the variety. was just very much on my mind as as IVs we have been told to reject work which has turned the Ks into question alone as it says in the book.
thanks all very interesting!