Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Assessor & tutor forum

Assessor & tutor forum Continuing professional development. This forum is openly available to all looking for help and information on the A1 - Assessor Award. Supporting CYPW CCLD NVQ candidates and others undertaking professional qualification.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 01-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

babe is on a distinguished road
Default NVQ 2 help

Hi All.

told you i would be back. I need some help again - i have 2 learners who i have taken on from another assessor who has now left. My Problem? they have no work in their folders and their targets dates are feb this year!!! Both learners have difficulty writing in english but they speak relatively well. has anyone got any ideas on covering the p.c's other than through writing evidence? I am okay with the obs bit but as i need at least 3 different types of evidence per unit, i am struggling on how to fill in the gaps and cover knowledge!! I can't do the knowledge through reams of questions and answers so need help with this one?? I have only got 4 more visits with them before they are due in. help help help!!!!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-16-2009, 02:00 PM

markysgirl is on a distinguished road
Default 304

would they be able to do written assignments?
Unread 01-16-2009, 06:36 PM

Hi.

Thanks for your reply - but no not really as they cannot read or write very well in english so was looking for alternative ways for them to also collect evidence without having to do reams of discussions on dictaphone!
Unread 01-17-2009, 06:19 PM
topaz glam

Level 2 P.C's can be mostly be covered through observations. Professional discussions & Q-A's are best options for knowledge.
Fire drill, health & saftey (risk assessments) etc, can be done as show me tell me which can the be marked down as observation fo the show me part & P.D's for the tell me part.
Also, recognising what they saftey marks & appropriate equipment & toys for the age of the children can be done as show me tell me...can they show you the kite marks etc & explain what they mean?

Knowledge requirements can be completed through observations also. You can use your professional judgement to say the if you've observed the candidates praising & encouraging children's efforts during a creative activity for example you could also count that as knowledge for K2D99.

The only other ways to covver the knowledge is through them completing written work or writting reflective accounts. You can make the written knowledge easier by setting the tasks as creating a poster or drawing spider diagrams etc. It does not have to be written paragraphs, depending what knowledge you are covering. Just as examples!!

I really hope this helps...you have such a tight deadline & taking over from someone else is always difficult. Let us know how you get on.
Unread 01-18-2009, 05:39 PM

Thank you so much topaz glam. It is really difficult - especially when you are new to assessing also and are trying to get your head round it all aswell. I take everything back now about assessors having an easy job - talking to learners and recording their own voices lol!!! How wrong was I??? Did not think about getting them to do posters etc for their knowledge parts - sure they would enjoy this too as they are very creative anyway!! Will keep you posted on my deadline!!!! Am sure i will need more info and advive before then!!!!! Thanks again
Unread 02-05-2009, 09:54 AM
topaz glam

Babe, I know it's not been that long since the last message but, how are you getting on?
Unread 02-07-2009, 05:35 PM

Hi topaz glam - thank you for your thoughts, i am getting on okay - i think!!! Have managed to get an extension till april with the one who struggles with the reading and writing of english and am recording most of it on the dictaphone - and then i have been sort of narrating at the end what she has spoken to me about just incase the IV or EV struggle to understand. And with the other one she is doing really well, she is now 60 per cent through and is receiving weekly support where i observe her all day and question her throughout or at end of obs to see how her knowledge is! So all in all, I am pleased with how they are both doing!!! Fingers crossed for my target date of 1st March!!! How long have you been assessing anyway - do you do lots at home? I always seem to be working on something or other????
Unread 02-07-2009, 06:06 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

how is this squaring with the eyfs expectation that all staff working with under 5s should be competent in english? think cache have to sort this out?
Unread 02-08-2009, 06:36 PM
topaz glam

Hi babe, I've been assessing for a little over 3 years. Yes...I always feel I'm doing alot at home & over the hours I'm paid for! lol

I find the job quite interesting, seeing different settings & how people do things in each place.

How about you?
Unread 02-08-2009, 09:34 PM

Hi topaz glam - yes am getting inot it now. Started in Sept 08 so am still getting my head round things! Really didn't like it to start with as felt I could not do it because I didn't (and still don't) know all the answers! Keyskills - I still really struggle with this but have asked if I can do my own - so at least then I can work through it step by step and hopefully then pass it on to my learners! Have been in childcare for 16years and really didn't think assessors did that much - I take every word of it back now! lol! But like you say, it is interesting and there are good (and not so good), settings so I find this part interesting and sometimes an eye opener!! It's good to talk to someone so experienced like yourself so many thanks!!