Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 07-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

JoannePowell is on a distinguished road
Default How many hours???

Hello,

Need a little bit of advice!

I am working in a Pre-School and they have funded my NVQ3, they have now cut my hours. I am now only working 2 mornings a week! I can not afford to only work this but if I leave I will have to pay back the funding for the NVQ! Does anyone know how many hours a week is needed to work to do an NVQ3?

Many thanks
Joanne

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Alison Day is on a distinguished road

Hi ya

For mine I have to work a min of 17hrs per week but not sure if thats a requirment or just what the terms of my training provider are. Seems unfair if this was out of your control. Can you tranfer if you get another job???

xx
Unread 07-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Have a word with your manager and explain what you have just written on this forum. Are you obliged to work a year or two after gaining your qualification for the setting to recoup their investment?

Tell her/him you need to (and would like to) work more hours at the setting to earn money to cover your household bills. Explain you understand the contract is in place to ensure that people do not 'use' settings to gain an NVQ and then leave , but if they are unable to give you more hours, you need to seek work elsewhere on your days off. You don't necessarily have to work in the sector if it is just for extra money; and there are agencies around for casual labour.

If your days are set, there is nothing to stop you working elsewhere until perhaps more permanent hours in your setting become available, in which case you will have to make a choice to be fair to those who are employing you.

It is hard for settings ( I am a manager myself) but I try not to have have too many staff, so that I can (hopefully) give enough hours to staff to keep them happy and for me not to lose good staff. Once you have gained your NVQ there is no obligation for you to work a set number of hours - it is ditated by how many hours you are needed. It is only when you are training that a specified number is required to enable a student to learn and put the theories into practice.

Speak to your manager and explain - there's a difference between wanting more work/hours and needing more work/hours due to spiralling costs.
Unread 07-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

charlotte1001 is on a distinguished road

hiya
i was told i needed to do a minimum of 18hours a week, could you do your 2 mornings, volunteer the rest of the hours you need to make it up to 18hrs at your setting your curremtly at and then work elsewhere part-time in any spare hours or evenings to make up on income
Unread 07-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

persie is on a distinguished road

at my college we were told to do a minimum of 6hrs

this is if you are in the setting on a voluntary basis and paying for the course yourself.

I'm surprised any company who has invested in your training are expecting you to cut your hours like that
Unread 07-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

shabz05 is on a distinguished road

hiya dont worry its basic 15 hours but say you want todo voluntary as well
Unread 07-16-2011, 05:27 PM

JoannePowell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
Have a word with your manager and explain what you have just written on this forum. Are you obliged to work a year or two after gaining your qualification for the setting to recoup their investment?

Tell her/him you need to (and would like to) work more hours at the setting to earn money to cover your household bills. Explain you understand the contract is in place to ensure that people do not 'use' settings to gain an NVQ and then leave , but if they are unable to give you more hours, you need to seek work elsewhere on your days off. You don't necessarily have to work in the sector if it is just for extra money; and there are agencies around for casual labour.

If your days are set, there is nothing to stop you working elsewhere until perhaps more permanent hours in your setting become available, in which case you will have to make a choice to be fair to those who are employing you.

It is hard for settings ( I am a manager myself) but I try not to have have too many staff, so that I can (hopefully) give enough hours to staff to keep them happy and for me not to lose good staff. Once you have gained your NVQ there is no obligation for you to work a set number of hours - it is ditated by how many hours you are needed. It is only when you are training that a specified number is required to enable a student to learn and put the theories into practice.

Speak to your manager and explain - there's a difference between wanting more work/hours and needing more work/hours due to spiralling costs.
Thanks Heidi,

I have told my manager! She just does not seam to understand! It has got worse as now someone who can in at Christmas and is not qualified now has more days than me come September! I have been with them for 4 years!!! So I'm doing my NVQ as fast as I can so that I can leave!
Unread 07-17-2011, 01:14 PM

julzrobertson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoannePowell View Post
Hello,

Need a little bit of advice!

I am working in a Pre-School and they have funded my NVQ3, they have now cut my hours. I am now only working 2 mornings a week! I can not afford to only work this but if I leave I will have to pay back the funding for the NVQ! Does anyone know how many hours a week is needed to work to do an NVQ3?

Many thanks
Joanne
I was told 10 hours a week.:reading: