Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Preschool themes and topics > Planning activities themes and topics for preschool early years > Conservation, the world around us

Conservation, the world around us Animal welfare and conservaiton and activity ideas for upcycling and recycling to support preschool and nursery aged children's understanding of the world around them

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 05-10-2007, 09:04 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road
Default Washing powder bags?

I've just found this section, after reading about the use of medcine spoons.. and now I have a question-

Any suggestions (polite!) as to what I could use washing powder bags for?????? I've loads and I just can't throw them away!

Have tried hanging the soap in them - but the children kept taking in out

Tries 'weaving' coloured wool through them - good idea but not for my age group 2-5s

xxx

-----------------------------------------

Unread 05-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

How about 'treasure bags? maybe tie a coloured or shaped label to each one (or name of the day ?) and hang them up somewhere, give the children clues as to where they can find it, am wondering what you could put into the bags though lol

Another idea is to store or group plastic animals etc in them, again maybe with a picture of the animal on the outside of the bag ~ working on the theory that children love taking out & putting in ... when they want to that is !!

Also curious as to what playdough, paint or silly putty would be like if squeezed out though them ?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 05-11-2007, 07:12 AM
cybertwin

we have just made fishing nets out of these for the water area, using a lolly stick for the handle. suck on with pva it does say on.
leave the bag open and they can catch small things, beads small laminated pictures etc
Unread 05-11-2007, 02:22 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road

I've never used one of these bags so I don't know how big the holes are! :blush:

If they're not too big could you fill them with herbs and spices etc for smell sensory area?
Unread 05-11-2007, 05:42 PM
cybertwin

you could use fresh herbs, the dried variety would fall through the holes, they are a bt big, uuummmm like.....hole punch hole size?

but fressh herbs would work well fab idea
Unread 05-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

thanks for all the ideas - I wish I worked with you lot!!!! sometimes I come home with complete 'brain drain' I feel like I'm swimming up-stream all the time- when I took the bags in...everyone looked at me like a nutter and asked if I was going to do some washing-we haven't got a washing machine!!

think I'm going to try the fresh herbs next week, and I love the idea of fishing nets -although that may involve getting the the water tray out - so my name will be mud- again!
xx
Unread 05-11-2007, 10:06 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin View Post
thanks for all the ideas - I wish I worked with you lot!!!! sometimes I come home with complete 'brain drain' I feel like I'm swimming up-stream all the time....
That's what we're all here for, to share our 'wisdom' and help ease each others loads. Aww, I sound like a Hallmark card! :blush: :rotfl:
Unread 05-12-2007, 09:27 AM
cybertwin

my staff do have good ideas but constantly look at me like i am mad!!! although usually me and deputy have the ideas sort of jointly

you should have seen them the other morning when the box of watering cans i ordered turned up!!!!! loads of blank looks!!! but the children had one each, yes the play area was drowned but they had amazing fun!!!!
i just say trust me and get on with it!
Unread 05-13-2007, 01:15 AM
cinders

Oooo i LOVE these little bags!! have used them for all sorts of things!

um.... let me try and remember...

1) made counting bags.... weaved a number ontot hte front of the bag (or stitch it on) and then the children have to place that many items in the bag. I like using those little compare bears personally!

2) sound bags.... using the phonetic sounds the children use the bags to collect things that have the initial sound 'a' etc as we go on sound walks around the setting

3) each of the children have a bag on their peg as part of a reward system.... each time they do something good/behave well/achieve something they get a treasure stone (coloured glass pebble thigns) which they put in their treasure bag and then when they get ten they recieve a certificate and a small prize

4) ive used them on visits to the park when we were collecting conkers... each child had a bag they were allowed to fill - meant i didnt end up carrying them all in one big bag! (yay)

5) used them for collecting coloured things too actually as well as the numbers and phonics... same thing!!

6) teddies can use them as back packs/bags to keep their things in!!

and finally..... just give them to the children and se what THEY do with them! never ceases to amaze me!
Unread 05-13-2007, 07:38 AM
cybertwin

what fab ideas, love the conker collecting one, meaning not having hundreds lying around