Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 04-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

MissHayley is on a distinguished road
Help!!

I'm so close to tears! Could anyone point me in the right direction?!

My assessor has asked me to do an assignment.. She asked me to research on theory of play/theorists and compare and contrast different approaches, I may sound thick but I'm really struggling so if anyone could help me I'd be so greatful!

The standards are:

How current theories can inform practise - K3D210

There are competing theories of how children develop and how current theoretical views influence practise – K3D213

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-09-2009, 01:28 PM

portchesterqueen is on a distinguished road
Default K3d210 & K3d213

Misshayley do not despair
We all have days like this!!!
An excellent book that may be of help is"Understanding Children's Play" by Jennie Lindon.It covers;Theories about play and theorists.learnng through play in practice.etc,etc. Another book is "Child care & education" by Tina Bruce and Carolyn Meggitt.3rd edition. Basically covers everything. And a book called"how children learn" by Linda Pound, is excellent for most of the theorists you will encounter on your course. This book covers each theorists life,works,their theory,and putting the theory into practice.
You can get these quite cheaply from amazon, or try your library.

good luck
portchesterqueen

Last edited by portchesterqueen : 04-09-2009 at 01:30 PM. Reason: typos
Unread 04-09-2009, 01:32 PM

I have tried the internet :[

I have got that book by Linda Pound How children.. I dont get what my assessor is asking me to do tbh.. :[
Unread 04-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

mayzo1111 is on a distinguished road

i have just finished this.i studied for a week just on the internet just with sigmund freud.he was the worst.the internet had so much info...but then i found a book called child development by carolyn meggit 2nd edition and all the theroists were in there.and they were so easy to understand.(just the points you need).it is hard to write it down on here for you,it will be easier to understand if you can see the book, i am sure the libary will have it,it will help you in other areas too in the nvq.my advice is dont write too much it is not needed.
Unread 04-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

Why not make your self a chart?

thoerists - main points - positives - negatives.

If you do it in a table form it will stop you writing to much- just the main points.

xxx
Unread 04-09-2009, 09:39 PM
wishfulsinger01

the book by linda pound is a vital source....i got praised for answering these two KE and i used this book.....made it my bedtime reading actually!!
Unread 04-13-2009, 06:32 PM

So if I wrote down the main points - pos and negs

then you think I have answered the standards as follows;

How current theories can inform practise - K3D210

There are competing theories of how children develop and how current theoretical views influence practise – K3D213

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin View Post
Why not make your self a chart?

thoerists - main points - positives - negatives.

If you do it in a table form it will stop you writing to much- just the main points.

xxx
Unread 04-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

misspotter is on a distinguished road

I link the two together and also linked to observations. For the competing theorist I wrote about erikson v freud freud 3 stages and erikson 8 stages that sort of thing. Hope this helps.
Unread 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspotter View Post
I link the two together and also linked to observations. For the competing theorist I wrote about erikson v freud freud 3 stages and erikson 8 stages that sort of thing. Hope this helps.
Sorry but no it doesn't help me :[ I'm thick sorry lol, I am thinking of leaving it and asking my assessor to explain to me in dummy terms what to do cos I really don't understand it :[
Unread 04-16-2009, 09:26 PM

Could you tell me if am on right track with what am putting (The bold bit is how a settign can implement the theorsit into their practise) Oh by way sorry it a lot!

Friedrich Frobel Friedrich Frobel (1782-1852) was from Germany and he loved nature. He developed the word "Kindergarten", and designed what is called the "Froebel Gifts" (Numerical blocks, a box of six small soft wooden balls or spheres, etc). Froebel's input to the educational world was his idea in recognising that children had unique needs and capabilities, and importance of the activities in the children's learning.

Maria Montessori Maria Montessori (1870-1952) was mainly interested in how play developed the mind, body, brain and senses in terms of

1) Getting hold of greater awareness of properties through use of the physical senses.
2) Sharpening abilities to meet and arrange information.
3) Organise sensory impression (By the use of practical life and sensorial activities).

Settings can put her theory into practice by allowing the children to engage in free play activities etc.

Jean Piaget Play Theory is Piaget (Schemas)

Lev Vygotsky

Jerome Bruner Bruner (Scaffolding children's play)

John Dewey
John Dewey (1859-1952) is American and the father of "Practical Psychology".His theories provided the basis for current educational uses of children's play.
1) Play to help children rebuild their experience and gain meaning from it.
2) Children learn to function at higher levels of awareness and action.
3) Teachers were to create an environment to nurture play that would support desirable mental and good.