Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Preschool themes and topics > Popular early years themes and children's topics of interest > Weather

Weather Sun, rain, fog, mist, drizzle, snow, ice, wind...... what other elements have you covered ?

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 10-04-2007, 10:58 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
Weather boxes ?

Trying to get together some resources for photos on 'Weather Boxes'

Do you use them & what sort of things have you collected for them ?
the cost of ad blockers

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-07-2007, 01:50 PM
kea106

Hi, ive never made a weather box but if i did i would put sensory things like rain makers, cotton wool, cut out a snowflake, may be role play items like a rainmac, wellies, sun glasses, an empty suncream bottle, pictures of the weather. if i think of some more i will let you know.
Unread 10-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Narnia is on a distinguished road

sun hat,puzzles depicting the weather/clothes that you'd wear...there's a bear puzzle with lots of different clothes to swap him into...........also, i bought a lovely little fabric doll on ebay, which came with various articles of clothing, so you could change him, or her into..i actually bought the boy and the girl............the children really like them, but i'm afraid it was some while ago, so i don't recall which seller it was.

Make a tape with different weather sounds.................hail, rain, thunder,water (with people playing in it, so ask the children what kind of weather it might be?) get a thunder tube..........some children really love these, others are a bit worried by them....

and lots of pictures of sports people wearing sun cream..you know, cricketers, for instance, wearing coloured sunblock across their face!

what about animal habitats............Polar bears live where there's snow and ice, Koalas live where it's very hot etc......................

small world play, Inuit people in traditional igloos, African tribes in huts (handa's surprise etc) American Indian people in traditional teepees or lodges and who moved to follow the food in different weather.....and of course, the sami people in Lapland do the same thing.....
Hibernation....trees do it, bears do it, even little buzzy bees do it, lets do it, lets go to sleep!! (you could make up your own song to the tune, couldn't you??)

hope that helps!
Unread 10-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

wow Narnia that's great thanks ..

I've just googled 'thunder tube', where did you get yours from ?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-07-2007, 03:12 PM

bought mine while on holiday in Cornwall, just a tiny little gift shop which sold lots of multi-cultural things! It cost about £5 or £6 but i've had it for a couple of years now.
Try making one.........a really thick card tube,(the sort you get inside new carpets,) with a tight plastic membrane across it, then a simple long piece of thin spring poked through a hole in the membrane (superglued or taped in place) you can then decorate the tube (or preferably, do it beforehand!!)with flashes of lightening, rain drops, glitter etc!
Unread 10-07-2007, 03:14 PM

.......in fact, just looked on ebay, and there are several on there, about £10, which is probably about the right price