Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > EYs Foundation Degree

EYs Foundation Degree Please use this forum to discuss the Foundation Degree ... assignment queries, integration of information into practice and other areas of learning ..

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 06-23-2010, 01:12 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

confusedotcom is on a distinguished road
General question What is the Foundation Degree like?

Hey everyone, I am planning on doing the Foundation Degree in Early Childhood Studies in September and I was just wondering if anyone knows what it is like and what is involved in the course at college and at placement?

Thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-23-2010, 12:15 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

it is brilliant as long as you are working in a good progressive eyfs friendly setting. if not is iv hard to find the evidence for your research and tasks. it is hard, it should be its a degree and those with little academic practice struggle. i advise an academic writing course first or over the summer as you dont get any favours from assignment 1 on. it is essential you are in a high position not just an assistant which is why out college only takes working practitioners as those on placement nearly always failed due to the lack of experience and a macro view of the organisation. all my students have funding which makes it easier for them to concentrate and commit.
Unread 06-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

it has nothing to do with eyfs - friendly or otherwise. the progressiveness of any setting is in its approach alone.
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 06-24-2010, 12:32 AM

hmmmmm this has made me think a lot....I have totally new to childcare in terms of qualifications and placement. I specifically chose the foundation degree as I thought that it would be a good starting as I have no real experience in an Early Years setting like I said. Now I am doubting myself...I had the offer for uni for a Bachelors Degree but I am honest, I want to start from the beginning and work my way up there. It is just in my opinion that I would be better off this way and gaining experience so I will be ready for Uni.

I am young and I have A levels so I am hoping this will stand by me for the academin writing part of it...

I really am confused now... oh dear!
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Meena is on a distinguished road

hiya confusedotcom,
I am starting the Early Years Foundation Degree in September too, I am looking forward to starting it. I was considering the Bachelors Degree too as I also had an offer, but long term you will benefit from doing the foundation degree as you will also gain the working experience and that is what most employers look for. You can 'top-up' your foundation degree to get a full BA, this is done by doing one year of full time study at a university. Hope this helps :)
Unread 08-15-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meena View Post
hiya confusedotcom,
I am starting the Early Years Foundation Degree in September too, I am looking forward to starting it. I was considering the Bachelors Degree too as I also had an offer, but long term you will benefit from doing the foundation degree as you will also gain the working experience and that is what most employers look for. You can 'top-up' your foundation degree to get a full BA, this is done by doing one year of full time study at a university. Hope this helps :)
I am glad you're starting the course at the same time as me :). You have put me at ease telling me I have made the right decision because I am forever doubting myself in life! I just hope I am good at this course/career...I won't know until I try though. Thanks for your wisdom :P I hope you enjoy it in September.
Unread 08-17-2010, 03:24 AM

Meena is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedotcom View Post
I am glad you're starting the course at the same time as me :). You have put me at ease telling me I have made the right decision because I am forever doubting myself in life! I just hope I am good at this course/career...I won't know until I try though. Thanks for your wisdom :P I hope you enjoy it in September.
Awww thank you :) i hope u enjoy it too. Maybe we could help eachother once we've started :) :teacher:
Unread 08-17-2010, 08:12 AM

allyj is on a distinguished road

I.m starting in October too with the open university would be good to help each other o
ut. X
Unread 08-17-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meena View Post
Awww thank you :) i hope u enjoy it too. Maybe we could help eachother once we've started :) :teacher:
Definitely! I am sure all help will be very much needed when the time comes :)
Unread 08-18-2010, 12:13 PM

samanthagardiner is on a distinguished road

I'm starting mine with the OU in October too. Here's to helping each other whenever we can.