Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Playwork and Out of Hours

Playwork and Out of Hours playwork, hospital play, library sessions, after school and holiday clubs .. post your activity ideas and queries in here ..

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 02-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Jayne

Default Naughty kids in art club help!

Hi,

I am now running a little art club for 5 year olds at the moment and I'm having difficulty getting them to behave. I've tried shouting above them and just gave myself a sore throat, so the week after I tried bribery with sweets, still didn't work. The head teacher had to come in twice and threaten them to stop running round the classroom and attacking each other. There are some lovely kiddies wanting to do art and a few are spoiling it for them. I don't want to make the naughty ones leave, as they are only five and I'd feel mean. Handy tips and general advice would be most welcome. At the moment I feel like i'm failing with them, I want to make art club fun and don't want to shout at them, as that's not much fun.

Thanks

Jayne x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Shouting and bribery doesn't last long .. if you value your throat & purse that is lol

Is it an after school art group where they can get out to the playground for 10 minutes & let off some end of school steam before settling back to table activities ?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 03-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

DizzyDora is on a distinguished road

How about a star chart? Collect 10 stars for a dip in the bag (cheap art supplies to link with the club). Stars are given for good behaviour. We also have a thinking chair all our kids hate it cause they miss out on the fun stuff going on. Our main behaviour method is green, orange and red face. Very visual as it's on our whiteboard so all kids and their parents can see whose on it. Funnily enough we get very few on the thinking chair or red and orange face. Lots of positive praise for children who usually behave ( well done so and so i love the way you're listening/ sitting etc), and children who normally misbehave even if they do a tiny brilliant thing pounce on it straight away and give lots of positive praise (even if it's only using scissors properly or walking into the classroom at the begining of session).
Can be really difficult to be positive but in the long run you and them will enjoy the sessions more
And finally good luck

Ps how about sitting kids down and making up "our golden rules"? Our group are only 4 yrs old but came up with fab rules mostly what i would have come up with anyway. More likely to stick to them cause they've made them up. Could then make a big deal about decoraing the poster they are written on. Lots of sequins and glitter!

Last edited by DizzyDora : 03-01-2008 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Thought of something else
Unread 03-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Jayne

Thanks Dizzy and Ruth, I love the star idea and making their own rules up, i'm going to try this next class. I've had a word with the ring leaders Mum and he has promised to behave next session, so hopefully with your ideas and Mum on board, we'll have a much nicer class on Thursday :) I cannot let them outside, as I wouldn't be able to supervise them myself outside, they are way too fast to catch on my own..lol

Jayne x
Unread 03-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Administrator

lol they do come back .. honest

I'm not such a huge star chart fan but it's been a long time since I was involved in a classroom environment !

Have you asked him/them what sort of art things they like doing (at home as well) ? paint or car wheels & clay, marble rolling or gluing ?
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 03-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

Planning ahead is always a good move to... if you can get well ahead with a good stock of pre- planned activies..it gives you 'breathing space' to sort out the rascals with the more 'challenging behaviour'
xxx
Unread 03-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Jayne

Thanks for your advice all :)

I tried a chart, I based it on school rules of yellow card, then red card. I told the kiddies when their cards had gone, they would have to leave art class. They all agreed to the rule and I actually enjoyed art on Thursday, even though I went home covered in clay.

Jayne x
Unread 03-10-2008, 01:51 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

DizzyDora is on a distinguished road
Highfive

So glad we could help.
Unread 05-04-2008, 01:42 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

i would suggest a couple of things
a behaviour management course for you in order to reflect on your practice?
a good look at the resources you re offering which obviously arent captivating them
why are they misbehaving are they bored, tired, hungry?
do you have a complete plan are you ready for everything, teaching isnt simple!
do you have assistance? sounds like you need another adult
and
shouting?? you set the tone, if its one of panic and noise that is what they will do to.
Unread 05-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Jayne how is all this going ?

Have they strung you from the rafters yet ?? lol

an image search that reminded me of you ..
the cost of ad blockers