Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 04-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

sarah8lou is on a distinguished road
Default Role play!!

I have one final observation at work , then that's it. It is as follows....

Plan and carry out a role play activity to support a transitions, e.g. going to school, new baby, going to hospital etc.

That's it!

This is the only one I am unsure of, feel like I am hitting my head .

Any ideas of what I could do, I understand if I set up a hospital with the baby dolls etc, but I would surely have to do something within the role play to engage them, ask them things etc!

, any help much appreciated

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-04-2013, 05:03 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

mjw76 is on a distinguished road

did you have any joy with this, as I've now got to do the same and feel like pulling my hair out!!!
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw76 View Post
did you have any joy with this, as I've now got to do the same and feel like pulling my hair out!!!
Hi, yes I did and it went well.
We have a few children who's mums are expecting a new baby, so I did this....

Baby roll play. I got all our dolls, blankets, toy push chair etc that we have at per-school, I also brought In my daughters old baby bath, crib, baby bottles etc.

I set it all up, and invited the children who's mums were expecting and any other children to come and play. I let them get on, whilst asking who was having a new baby etc, are they excited. What might baby be like -noisy, cry, sleep a lot. Will they help mummy bath the baby etc. should they water be warm or cold. I got a book from the school library about a new baby in the family.
Some children listened to me read it.
I just basically played along with them. We put the babies in the crib, made sure we used blankets carefully etc. talked about what they will eat.
It was fun, it ran its course naturally and as the children got bored or left, others came to play.

To be honest it was the easiest activity I did for my observations!

I'm just waiting now for my qualification to come through. I've basically finished.

Good luck. Keep posting if u need help.
Unread 06-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

mjw76 is on a distinguished road

Nice one thank you

We've got the babies out this week anyway, one of our mum's had a baby during the holidays, plus our ALFA is on houses and homes, so have emailed my assessor to see if the babies would be suitable, she wants to see a plan for it too :-O

Congrats on finishing and qualifying, what are you doing from here or are you leaving it as that?

Last edited by mjw76 : 06-04-2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: adding to content
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:47 AM

Well I hope it goes well, remember its about a transition, so a change in a child's life and how what we do can support them through it. So we can role play scenario, and talk about what might happen, how things could change etc. As I said it was the easiest ones I did, as the children made their own way during play, and I furthered their learning through talking and asking questions etc.

I started work in a pre-school Sept 2012, it was temporary whilst I was at college. They have offered me a permanent position now, and possible 1:1 with an autistic boy from September, so it's all very exciting and I am loving it. All very different from going to agricultural college and working with animals

Good luck, sure it will be fine.