Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 10-31-2007, 11:10 AM
sara

espo is a supply catalgue we use, will check the prices of books and let you know (and the online address), we dont send the scrapbooks home but the parents and welcome to look at them at any time. not sure how to go about it but will email you the form we send home each month if you let me know your e-address.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-31-2007, 11:44 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chelltune is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
We have been advised to start doing these with our children but i'm worried that some parents might not return them.
Just let parents view them in the school at the end of each term. They then take them home when the child leaves.
Unread 10-31-2007, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

It is a tricky one .. OFSTED like to see home communications and partnerships being built in lots of different ways .. we started giving out our newsletters around the same time as doing the busy bee/Journey books so fortunately were ok in asking parents if they minded the books were kept in pre school !!
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-31-2007, 06:13 PM

Air is on a distinguished road

Think learning journey scrapbooks are a wonderful idea...have one question...do settings use these to replace or compliment children's progress profiles?
x
Unread 10-31-2007, 08:59 PM
Teresa

thanks for everyones replies my setting seems keen to introduce but am coming up against some negatvity because of work involved so as previous post do these replace reports or could you use these obviously with written areas relating to the ELG and a shortened version of a report because our ones are quite conclusive and long, with 11 keyworker children each this would be a lot of work any ideas

Teresa
Unread 10-31-2007, 10:03 PM

sparky is on a distinguished road

I was talking to people at a course I was on today. Most of the groups who do them let the parents take them home once a month or so and let parents and children add comments.

I'm hoping to go and visit one of the nurseries and have a look at one as soon as I can
Unread 11-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

watgem is on a distinguished road

Hi I've been doing something similar for each child for about a year, but I've kind of combined them with the progress reports etc and divided them up into the 6 areas of learning, put all photos, observations, examples of work etc under relevant headings. The children see them and add to them themselves whenever they want to, Parents are free to borrow them to show to the relatives etc whenever they want and take them home when they are filled or the child leaves. I do a talk through with Parents showing them their childs book and use it as an opportunity to discuss their child's development, changing needs, interests etc approximately every 6 months, one mum [a teacher] asked if I could do this every 3 months so I'm aiming for this , haven't quite got there yet! The Ofsted Inspector really liked this idea and its lovely to give, but it is time consuming and as a childminder I don't have as many to do but an "unappreciative" parent was really amazed when she saw how much her child had done with me in her book and that makes it all worthwhile.
Unread 11-06-2007, 04:14 PM
Teresa

thanks for all your replies it is something i am going to suggest and hopefully we could start them perhaps in the new year as this term is so busy with christmas play etc once again thank you