Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 01-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

SomeoneSpecial is on a distinguished road
Default List help!

Hi all, I work with baby twins and mom wants to book them in a nursery for when they are 2 1/2 and i we are going to visit some this week.

I have loads of questions i want to ask each nursery-for example about their drop off pick up system, lunch menu etc,

I was wondering what questions you think are good ones to ask?

and anyone got tips on what things point out a good or bad nursery apart from the obvious stuff?

-----------------------------------------

Unread 01-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

gemkaikay is on a distinguished road

You need to check about picking up and dropping off, do they have say a password scheme if mum has to ask someone to collect their child in an emergency we have a pass word for each child that they have to give if needs be. this then gets change every time it is used.
You need to ook at the children there already do they seem happy, content etc... thats always good to see!
how clean are the toilets, i always check this to see if this area is maintain to a high standard. also check ofsted report online before you go this will give you a good idea of the nursery, good luck,
Unread 03-09-2010, 11:13 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

ray is on a distinguished road

Hi there
I work in a nursery with babies??? Questions to ask:

What is your staff to child ratio?
Are the staff consistently in the room?
What is the average age of the people caring for your child?
What are their qualifications/experience with the age group your child would be in?
Ask to see examples of profiles?
What are the arrangement for sleep time? Is the ratio the same? How often are the children checked?
How do they encourage physical development?
Ask to see an example of an end of day feedback sheet?
What are the feeding and dining arrangements?I
They should for best practice offer realistic settling in times for your ease of mind
What is their policy on adminstering teething gel/ calpol etc?
What are their security arrangements?

Hope this helps and good luck with your search?