Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 12-19-2007, 12:02 AM
Jayne

Thank You. It's the best Christmas box I could have and i'm still on cloud nine.

Now I need all the hints and tips possible, like what do I need in my bag? how many changes of clothes i'll need and tips on the best head lice shampoo, just in case?

Jayne

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-19-2007, 12:03 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

Well done!!!!!!!!!!
What a wonderful start to your New Year!

keep us informed on how it goes. xxxx
Unread 12-19-2007, 12:06 AM

cabin is on a distinguished road

Nits - they don't seem to like hair dye + straigtners!!!!!!!!!

What age group are you with?
.........as for spare clothes - I always keep a spare set in the car -'touchwood' I've never had to use them yet, although I have lent items to other staff members!!!
xxx
Unread 12-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Jayne

Good, I'll dye it often. Are the straighteners to squash them with, like Nit Ninja combat?

I will be helping with year 4, but not sure of the ages? Anything from 2yrs to 11? I'm guessing they are the older kiddie winkles. I'm so excited, I feel like a big kid myself. I can learn them how to make fab ginger biscuits.

Jayne
Unread 12-21-2007, 05:41 PM

Air is on a distinguished road

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

So pleased that they saw your potential as a valued member of their team...have a feeling it would be difficult not too!

Here is a brief overview of what your life will become now you work in the early years sector-

You will realise that the 7 1/2 hour days you were promised at the beginning of your job have now extended into 10 hours + overtime

You will now have a list of names you would never name your own children because of certain children at your setting

The word OFSTED will send a blind panic through you

If you don't come home with paint/glue/some form of messy play in your hair then it has been a very successful day

You will flinch when someone says 'naughty' but then you will realise that in the real world it isnt a FORBIDDEN word!!

You will contemplate putting on suncream even when it's quite clearly about to rain

You will have the biggest pile of drawings that you just can't bring yourself to put in the bin!

Yup..it's the best job ever
Unread 12-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Jayne

Thank You for the insider info Air, i've bought a new big bag for to fill will emergency stuff, like wet wipes and headache tablets just in case.

I've been on the computer reading stuff since I got the job, i've learnt loads already, I just need some kids now to practice on. Also been watching teachers TV on Sky (880), that is interesting.

Jayne
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

portchesterqueen is on a distinguished road

Dear Jayne
I have worked in primary education for 8 years as a T.A (aka:lsa,sna,sen).
Do you have any nvq's or relevant experience with young children? As all the sectors that work or going to work with children are now going through stringent governing as they believe that staff should now have at least level4 or more in qualifications.
(Obviously depending on what your role is going to be)
They used to take mum's a few years ago but now they look for particular experience and a certain amount of qualification. There are teaching assistant courses you can do at colleges, maybe you could contact your local college and find out if they do it. You would be in a mucher better position if you had this or could tell the school you were enroled in it.
Hope this helps, any other questions just ask
Unread 09-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Jayne has been publically awol from the forum for a while, shall see if she responds to a nudge lol

I'm not quite sure how useful a chemical health and safety certificate has been for her but I certainly hope introduction of more stringent entry qualifications doesn't prevent accessing a very valuable and highly motivated group of the population.

xx
the cost of ad blockers