Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 07-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

jessica is on a distinguished road
Need help for 2moz

Hi , on unit 204 K2P53:The effect of my own background and experiences on my own practice I have to do a chart for this. I have put down 'siblings and cousins' and 'bilingaul' as my experiences. But I don't know how this could be a negative affect ? I have already written about how it has a postive effect. Please helps thanks x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-04-2010, 03:34 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

you may compare the children in your care to children you know esp if the ones you know are advanced. you may expect too much of them or even too little
Unread 07-04-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu View Post
you may compare the children in your care to children you know esp if the ones you know are advanced. you may expect too much of them or even too little
Thanks tutu, that's what i wanted to say but didn't know how to word it lol, thanks again x
Unread 07-04-2010, 03:39 PM

Ermmm what about one negative effect of being bilingaul ? Thanks
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:28 PM

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica View Post
Hi , on unit 204 K2P53:The effect of my own background and experiences on my own practice I have to do a chart for this. I have put down 'siblings and cousins' and 'bilingaul' as my experiences. But I don't know how this could be a negative affect ? I have already written about how it has a postive effect. Please helps thanks x
Your religious, cultural beliefs and environment will also have affected your beliefs and the way you live.

You don't have to say that they make you think in a negative way, but you could say if you have had an upbringing where you and your family have plenty - to eat, many material possessions etc and this could be a negative thing if you dismissed families and children as it being their own fault for being poor.
Or you (because of your culture) may not understand (or don't want to) why certain families do certain things.

In your environment you may have been lucky enough to live in a house with a lovely big garden where you ran around as a child and there was a park nearby - you were healthy and the 'correct' size.

This may make you not understand why a child is overweight. That child may live in a block of flats with a broken lift - never getting outside to run around and their family impoverished not being able to afford healthy food - just processed food.

Your background can give you a good understanding, but it may/could also give you poor understanding - so that's why it is important to never judge and always include everyone equally and with respect.
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:47 PM

Wow thanks heidi, but im really confused on the negative effect of being bilingaul ? Please reply back x
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Ermmm what about one negative effect of being bilingaul ? Thanks
Can anyone help pleaseeeeee ??? I haave done everything else apart from this and need to print it out but I can't as have nothing to write about this x
Unread 07-04-2010, 08:07 PM

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wow thanks heidi, but im really confused on the negative effect of being bilingaul ? Please reply back x
Hi Jessica - you don't have to say every part of your background will bring negative experiences - like you I use to be fluent in two languages - I had to be. I lived abroad in a foreign comunity and went to a foreign school - so personally I think it brings benefits; but the question is not that it is a negative effect but how might it have a negative effect?

You could say someone who is bilingual and finds it easy to pick up languages may not be sympathetic to a child that starts the setting with English as an additional language - or not at all. They may think 'Well I can speak 2, 3 or even 4 languages, so why can't they?'

Sometimes , if you turn your question around, you may find it easier. So when they are asking for positive relationships and your mind is going blank - ask yourself 'What is a bad relationship' and then you can easily answer it.

With this question think of the positives first - bilingual - maybe able to settle in children with that language, understand that culture better etc, then ask 'What could that make me think of others? (even though you don't) - that they aren't clever enough etc?

I hope this has explained it better to you.
Unread 07-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

ray is on a distinguished road

a negative affect may be if you felt self conscious about your language skills, or were shy because of english not being your first language it might make you reluctant to push them forward ?????
Unread 07-11-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
Hi Jessica - you don't have to say every part of your background will bring negative experiences - like you I use to be fluent in two languages - I had to be. I lived abroad in a foreign comunity and went to a foreign school - so personally I think it brings benefits; but the question is not that it is a negative effect but how might it have a negative effect?

You could say someone who is bilingual and finds it easy to pick up languages may not be sympathetic to a child that starts the setting with English as an additional language - or not at all. They may think 'Well I can speak 2, 3 or even 4 languages, so why can't they?'

Sometimes , if you turn your question around, you may find it easier. So when they are asking for positive relationships and your mind is going blank - ask yourself 'What is a bad relationship' and then you can easily answer it.

With this question think of the positives first - bilingual - maybe able to settle in children with that language, understand that culture better etc, then ask 'What could that make me think of others? (even though you don't) - that they aren't clever enough etc?

I hope this has explained it better to you.
Thanks heidi, I meant to say how might it have a negative effect instead of being an negative experience x