Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 09-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Teresajos is on a distinguished road
Default Free flow play

Could someone advice me please. Before the summer break we had lovely free flow play into a well equipped garden the children/parents all loved this as did the staff. Lots of play and independent learning occurred and everything was just fine. Since our return my manager now wants only timed use of the garden with small groups fine don't mind a bit of small group work but we have children crying to get out with their friends and some crying because they don't want to go out. It's really upsetting the staff but he is adamant this is the way forward and we must do it this way. Am I loosing the plot but I thought free flow was the way forward and best practice.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 09-10-2017, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, a warm welcome to the site. Nothing I've read suggests that restricting access to an outdoor learning area is either beneficial or recommended.

Has your manager explained why he thinks this is 'the way forward'? and also why he thinks what was happening before wasn't working?

xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 09-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

Teresajos is on a distinguished road

No explanation as yet. Just a complete turnaround of routine. All very structured with children having allotted times in different 'areas'. Free play only for about 20 minutes out of a 3 hour session. Then split into groups and 'told' where to go and not allowed out of the 'area' for 30 minute time span.
We have spent all last week comforting clearly upset children with no explanation as to why he thinks this benefits anybody.