Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 11-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

sarah.payne is on a distinguished road
Default Feeling like i'm not going to get anywhere on this course

espically in my placement. I have gave school a list of what I need to be doing and how invovd I need to be etc within the class and they said it wouldn't be a problem and they will sort it out etc. Now I hardly do anything in class. I know and understand they have 3 teachers for the set groups and they seem to be doing all the assessing etc and filling out the learning journals.
I haven't been given any of that to do and just seem to be mingling with the children while I also know and understand this is just as important as well I do feel I need to be involved in other things espically as I am training for level 3 qualifaction.
I have done 2 observations in school which I spoke to them about and tried to do another one today and was told I couldn't and shouldn't be doing it as need to play witht he children.
While we were doing number work last week I noticed a child could count up to 40 on his own and was very confident about doing it so I wrote it on a post it note like the others do and later in the day I found the post it note in the bin. It's feels like my assessments and small observations I do of the children are not worth anything. The other post it notes are all kept in pockets but mine wasn't put in thier.

I just feel the placement is not giving me enough hands on work and really dreading my assessor coming in to see me as I know I won't be doing anything

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

natalie85 is on a distinguished road

Aww what a shame sarah, thats not fair.
I really do not know what to say,
have you not considerd changing settings? x
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:03 PM

nazish is on a distinguished road

sarah i think you should work in my setting they have given me so much resposibilities sometimes i feel its too much for me also talk to ur assessor about this maybe she can talk to them.
Unread 11-11-2011, 10:22 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah.payne View Post
espically in my placement. I have gave school a list of what I need to be doing and how invovd I need to be etc within the class and they said it wouldn't be a problem and they will sort it out etc. Now I hardly do anything in class. I know and understand they have 3 teachers for the set groups and they seem to be doing all the assessing etc and filling out the learning journals.
I haven't been given any of that to do and just seem to be mingling with the children while I also know and understand this is just as important as well I do feel I need to be involved in other things espically as I am training for level 3 qualifaction.
I have done 2 observations in school which I spoke to them about and tried to do another one today and was told I couldn't and shouldn't be doing it as need to play witht he children.
While we were doing number work last week I noticed a child could count up to 40 on his own and was very confident about doing it so I wrote it on a post it note like the others do and later in the day I found the post it note in the bin. It's feels like my assessments and small observations I do of the children are not worth anything. The other post it notes are all kept in pockets but mine wasn't put in thier.

I just feel the placement is not giving me enough hands on work and really dreading my assessor coming in to see me as I know I won't be doing anything
Hi
I would agree with Natalie and find another placement unless it is paid work.

If it is paided work i would try and get myself involved by speaking to the teacher by asking her to show you the journals and how things are done (completing a learning journal together maybe) and when the teacher has seen what you can do slowly ask for more responsibility maybe taking a small group for a reading time or group time to try and gain the teachers trust.

If all else fails ask if you could work in a different class or speak to the headteacher or your tutor. By just helping in a classroom your tutor will be able to see more than what you think, they are trained for this and communication, with personal, social and emotional development are the key areas and from what i have read there is probably alot of these skills being shown, so tutor will see alot more than you think.

Keep your head up and see what tutor thinks when she observes you for the first time, you might be surprised what she shes.

Good luck

Lynne
Unread 11-11-2011, 11:03 PM

Thank you all so much I looked in to moving but the times they wanted me clashed with getting the kids from school etc. I hope she will see a lit when she comes out um dreading it lol as used to working with yr 2
Unread 11-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

natalie85 is on a distinguished road

Like Lynne said you will be suprised what yr assessor will get from your first observation.

for my 1st ob i read the children a story,
she observed me serving the children snack, cleaning the area afterwards.
she observed me greeting the children and parents in the morning.
I also completed a daily risk assessment checklist with her.
They can pick so much up, i did not organise anything for my 1st observation, she just told me to be myself.xx
Unread 11-12-2011, 01:37 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah.payne View Post
Thank you all so much I looked in to moving but the times they wanted me clashed with getting the kids from school etc. I hope she will see a lit when she comes out um dreading it lol as used to working with yr 2
Hi

I didn't organise my first assessment either like Natalie i just carried on with what i would normally being doing, just be yourself and i'm sure you will be fine.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Lynne
Unread 11-12-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn c View Post
Hi

I didn't organise my first assessment either like Natalie i just carried on with what i would normally being doing, just be yourself and i'm sure you will be fine.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Lynne
Thank you I will do I ahven't got the date for my assessment yet but I think we will be having it soon though.I think I am going to have a talk with the foundation leader and see what she says. I need to do things as I need to learn and understand how they do them etc. When I saw them marking on the eyfs stage profile sheet I noticed they were using different colours and asked why they were doing it and the t.a got all snotty with me etc. So I went and asked the other class lol
and was given a full explanation on it.
Unread 11-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

jess123678 is on a distinguished road

Aww, Such a shame you are feeling like this :( When I first started my placement felt that all I seemed to be down was walking around the classroom not knowing what to do with what felt like no guidance, after a few weeks of it I explain to the classroom teacher how I was feeling and that I felt I needed more reasonability’s, After the chat we had I was feeling so much better and also it gave me a well needed confidence boost, so I would suggest telling the class teacher or your assessor how you are feeling and what you would like to be doing! Stay positive it will get better you just need to chase it!
Jess x
Unread 11-12-2011, 04:13 PM

Fulham Supporter is on a distinguished road

Hi, I know how you feel, I am in exactly the same boat, if it is of any consolation.
I feel like a spare part a lot of the time, but, I made sure that everything was centred around me for my first observation.
I made notes about what was to be observed and took these into my manager, and as I said, I made sure that I got to do everything on the list.

I am due another observation on the 24th of this month, it will be my last, as so much was achieved in the first one, she was there for 3 and a half hours.

i have also spoken to my tutor about my situation at the setting, and she was very understanding, she will not get involved, as it could make things more difficult for me, but, she does talk and listen, and gives lots of encouragement, she tells me to get my qualification, and walk away, it is their loss.
Not sure they would see like that though.

Anyway, thought you may like to know you are not alone, I dont know you, but, if you want to sound off, you can send me a PM.

Stick with it, it will be worth it in the long run, think of the achievement, and the choices you will have.

Good luck X