Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > EYs Foundation Degree

EYs Foundation Degree Please use this forum to discuss the Foundation Degree ... assignment queries, integration of information into practice and other areas of learning ..

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 04-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

portchesterqueen is on a distinguished road
Help SOS Can You Help Please? FD assignment head lice

Hi everyone :soapbox:
Hoping all you lovely people would help me out. I have an assignment which is a "scope evaluation,on a controversial issue, within primary education", and the implications. I have decided to do "nits". I have already read a lot of forums and articles which are calling for the return of "Nitty nora", but would really value your views. I would just like to point out that i am not trying to be condescending to school nurses, or anyone else for that matter that do more than just check hair, only i have read quite a few threads on other forums where people have taken umbridge on this matter. So if you have a spare few minutes and would like to air your views i am more than grateful to receive them. Please say as much or as little as you want! All replies will be used for statistic purposes only and will be totally anonymous.
1. Do you think that "nit nurses" should be reinstated? If yes, why? If not, why?
2. Do you think the onus should be on parents?
3. Should schools be allowed to send children home if they are "running live"?
4. Any other reason or comment?
many thanks
portchesterqueen

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-23-2009, 10:26 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

no as they make children stand out if they are nitty. it doesnt matter how they do it they will embarrass and hurt the children for something that isnt there fault.

of course its about engaging parents and most parents care the others are marginalized from the school often because of the attitudes and prejudices of the head etc. its the schools need to change their attitudes and engage with the parents.

not at all, theyre only nits. they re not a death threat
Unread 04-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hiya,

I have mixed feelings on this and look at hoping a more multi agency approach could be taken.

As a parent I dread any telltale signs, let alone finding them and completely understand the frustration parents express where successive reinfestation occurs.

We use the combing method but also rely greatly on knowing that formula treatments are a doctors appointment away.

From a working perspective first and foremost, deeply wish that support from local Health visitors, care workers, parent/setting liason services were always as accessible as a phone call and meeting - That parents could be offered, where appropriate free inhome treatments by their hairdressers, family support officers etc .. that a treatment collection/home drop off service were available and that location details for adult and child drop in advice - leaflets, guidance, on purchasing combs, the range of treatments and the way they kill nits + lice, application and recommended techniques were provided by the relevant professionals and that this signpost information was regularly supplied to settings. I'm not sure bringing back detection services such as a nit nurse in a school enviroinment would help, other than by providing jobs - interested to hear what the job description of then included.

In reality combing curly, long, braided hair or facing sensitive skin issues is a nightmare as can be making sure the time is taken to deal completely & thoroughly with the situation.

Nowadays in work, I'd be inclined to let the Parent/carer know when lice/nit cases had been seen and try to help with advice. For continued appearances printing and distributing leaflets, passing on details of any known special offers for combs/conditioners and to get in touch with any possible first points of contact - eg. Eys dept, DO, link, or Doctors surgery to find out if there was any new information, guidance or suggested intervention procedures to hand. No exclusions unless a parent wished to voluntarily keep their child/ren at home to deal effectively with the first and possibly second treatment, in which case they would receive full support in that decision and any additional agencies that needed contacting for authorisation or guidance would be.

1. Do you think that "nit nurses" should be reinstated? If yes, why? If not, why?
2. Do you think the onus should be on parents?
3. Should schools be allowed to send children home if they are "running live"?
4. Any other reason or comment?

Haven't answered as I should sorry, hope it helps a little, interested too to hear others policy & procedure

Best wishes with the assignment xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 04-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Kathie is on a distinguished road

This is a subject that i have heard parents discussing, my own daughter a few years ago had headlice on and off for a year she has very thick long hair and on occasions got very upset. As a parent i wasn't very happy and the headlice were coming and going from one particular child according to gossip. I remember feeling very annoyed back then, but as a practitioner now i feel support is always the best. I do feel that the 'nit nurse' should be reinstated but mainly for support for all families so nobody is pin pointed. The onus on parents shouldn't be completely as how can they be responsible all the time, children come into contact with all sorts of things. It should be a team effort between parents/carers/practioners and so on. It's not right to send a child home as this doesn't coincide with the inclusion we are all supposed to follow and should they be labelled for something that could be classed as another childhood ailement, hope i haven't rambled on
Unread 04-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

dkredbaron is on a distinguished road

I have seen alot of these little fellows in my time before i became a practioner i was a hairdresser.when i was a hairdresser i would tell the parents that the child had head lice most would be shocked but there would be the odd few that wouldnt be bothered and time and time again that poor child lived with these lice in their head.its not the childs fault at all,it all comes down to educating the parents making them aware .free treatments would be good but the lice become used to the solution. wet combing and conditioner is the best.but be aware alot of people are not aware that the eggs hatch out one week later so you need to wet comb again.if everyone did this we could make them go away forever now theres a thought
Unread 04-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

portchesterqueen is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks so far!

Hi, thank you to those that have replid to my plea so far!
This is a very interesting debate, as such as peoples opinions go. I would also like to know what other practices policies are, as Ruthierhyme suggests. I think mixed feelings go for most of us. I am still interested to hear more views - so please keep them coming!!
many thanks to you all
portchesterqueen