Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Bulb Energy - green renewable supporting UK generators

Unread 10-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Aleezia is on a distinguished road
Alert CACHR CCLD Level 2 Unit 3 URGENT Help!!

Hi All,

I have just finished my first assignment with CACHE and submitted it to my tutor. I am waiting for my result but i am beginning my third assignment.

P1 for Unit 3 says: 'Describe how one activity/experience supports the communication and intellectual development of a child or young person'.

I would be truly grateful for all suggestions on activities that support both the communication/intellectual development.

Many thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-24-2011, 12:13 PM

Tilby is on a distinguished road

What age range you are thinking of writing about?
Unread 10-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, all activities offer some opportunity to communicate and learn, maybe approach this by looking at what communication could be present in an activity:

verbal and non-verbal eg: spoken language, sign language, body language, facial expression, communication through creative means eg if the activity is 'art based, markmaking, dance and then what the participation by others is expected or be or will be planned for - staff deployment/adult presence, other children and then if the activity is a solitary one, group, restricts or invites a number of particpants.

Then explore the possible learning/intellectual development that's involved:
EG. discovering new information, understanding that new information, applying the new information to children's play and social interation, identifying solutions/problem solving, reinforcing a child's exisiting knowledge, generating ideas, social awareness & getting along with each other.

To help you plan an activity how about comparing different types to see what best fits your setting, its resources and your need..

Maybe a table top filled with jigsaws V new resources in a role play area.
Circle time songs V water play - regular resources or themed focussed
Dough play activity V musical instruments
Outdoor game of what's the time Mr Wolf V indoor game involving balls and buckets
Computer based game V table top crayons & paper
magnets V bubble blowing
Maybe use a festival or celebrational activity? - Halloween, christmas, autumn or winter?
Visit by a storyteller V climbing frame activity
Dressup box
Small world role play area
Easel painting

This quote from page 18 of the nvq level 2 child development pdf on Pearson schools & FE colleges helps to provide links for further research into children's cognitive & social learning theory.
Quote:
Intellectual development
Cognitive or intellectual development is about how children learn, think and develop ideas.
This is one of the areas of development that is strongly influenced by the experiences a child has. Learning the names of animals is only possible if a child has been told them.

This applies to almost any knowledge or skill.
Hth
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-24-2011, 03:37 PM

Hi ,
Just looked back at my Unit 3 Assignment Guidance provided by CACHE (it's a year old now so may have changed, so cross ref with your handouts) also ask your ICS tutor for a handout.
P1 requires
* The age range of the children/young person (that's why I asked before)
* The title of the activity e.g cooking
* A brief description of the activity
* A description of the materials and resources you need for the activity
(remember to plan for individuals, don't generalise)
*write about the communication and intellectual development of the
child. **rather than an answer on all areas of learning focus on the communication and intellectual development, to meet this question **
( advice given by my tutor when I did this unit)

Hope this helps x
Unread 10-24-2011, 06:19 PM

Thanks so much Ruthierhyme and Tilby for all your help! I truly appreciate it.

I am still abit confused on the activities....as my book did not really address any activites and how they support the communication and intellectual development of a child.

Tilby your assignment guidance was spot on as it is exactly the same as my assignment guidance from CACHE. Your tips on not generalising an activity will help me alot.

Could you please explain a bit more on how the activity of cooking could support these two developments? By the way, the age range i want to write about is 0-7 yrs, children.

Kind regards :)
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM

Not a problem ( I just enrolled on a level 3 course today and feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew, Hope I settle into it when all my paperwork arrives later in the week! .. Having to do it as distance learning plus a placement because of my location, so I'm sure you'll see me crop up on here a lot!!, thank goodness there are so many wonderful people on here willing to point you in the right direction!)

Anyway I digress!

I think you'd help yourself out if you narrowed the age group down as there is a huge variation in developmental stages between 0-7! you're making more work for yourself than need be. For example use Reception class age 4-5 ? That way you can think about the activity covering children of a similar developmental age/stage (but be mindful that within this group you will encounter a range of ability, developmental stage individual need etc. Think about the opportunities that this activity presents for communication and intellectual development, children of this age will need direction and support from an adult, think about everything you'd talk about (as a starting point) you'll be surprised just how much holistic learning can evolve from making a jelly! =)
Unread 10-26-2011, 11:49 AM

Congratulations! I hope your level 3 course goes well . What company are you doing your level 3 with, as i would love to do my level 3 course after i complete level 2 with ICS?

Thanks for your advice again Tilby! I will re-read over my notes to find out activites.

By the way, how can speaking be an experience/activity i can write about for children age 4-5, or should i think of a practical activity?
Unread 10-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleezia View Post
By the way, how can speaking be an experience/activity i can write about for children age 4-5, or should i think of a practical activity?
Hi, how about helping the children to learn a new rhyme?

Pat a cake is a familiar rhyme that children may or maynot be confident using their own word knowledge for.

pat a cake
Pat a cake
bakers man
bake me a cake
as quick as you can
prick it .. and pat it
and mark it with B - if you find children ence at the B mark meaning the cake is meant for baby, explain how the baker man sometimes puts his own initial on the cakes .. authoring his culinary wares .
put it in the oven for a friend and me ..

Use more complex rhyme lyrics in-line with children's development - speech, language, confidence when participating.

Congratualtions Tilby look forward to having you around xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-26-2011, 05:41 PM

Thank you Ruthierhyme
All my paperwork arrived today and I think I've gone into information overload
I managed distinctions throughout my CAHCE level 2 certificate (via ICS as Aleezia is doing by the look of things) but I know I'm going to have to step up my game to do well at level 3. I think it's the volume of work needed that's causing the nerves! I'm going to take my time and try my best! I'm very lucky that I have a placement within an excellent Nursery class( FS1) of a local primary school
(my course is 24 months, NCFE Level 3 Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce with the Home Learning College Aleezia)
Unread 10-28-2011, 03:42 PM

Smile

Hi Tilby, congrats! I wish you all the best with your new course

Let's hope and pray i can get through my ICS course Thanks for all your help..xx