Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Childminding

Childminding Share childminding and home education ideas

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

View Poll Results: Is separate registration for over 8's a good idea?
Yes 0 0%
No 2 100.00%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-26-2007, 10:54 AM
vik3000

Default Over 8's registration

Whats everyone's opinion on this. I know its only voluntary (at the moment) but it still costs £100 !!!

I look after two over 8's and on working it out I think it will not be feasible. I know of several minders who don't/won't look after over 8's already but this is going to squeeze other minders who do and cause a problem for parents - as I think it will eventually become mandatory.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

I think it's absolutely ridiculous to charge so much and totally at odds against the govt's aim for wrap-around care to be available for anyone who wants it for all age-groups by 2010

Parents want (in the main) to claim tax credits and for that they've got to use a registered childminder or a club and if we can't be competitive cos we've got great bills to pay then they'll go to the clubs and we'll end up losing out - again

Feel quite strongly about this one cos I'm trying to set up a local working group to offer care for local schools who can't do after -school clubs etc. It just puts the minders off and we're losing some good people :soapbox:

Sarahx
Unread 07-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Peafor

I think a lot of people are mis-understanding the voluntary register.

This is what I've been told at a childminding meeting recently:

The voluntary register relates to childcarers who are not required by law to be registered. i.e. At the moment you can care for over 8's without being registered, it's these people who will have to join the voluntary register if their parents want to claim benefits.

If you are a registered childminder you will automatically go onto the compulsory register from Sept. 2008 which is free.