Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 02-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Bev 06 is on a distinguished road
Default New Policies

Hello everyone,
Several of the settings that I support have recently had their Ofsted and three of them were advised as best practice to provide seperate policies for
  • English as a second language
  • Racial equality
  • Anti bullying
Now Anti bullying policy is common place now, but I have to say I always thought that Racial Equality was incorporated into the Equality of Opportunity Policy, but no Ofsted asked for a seperate policy on just that. English as a Second language well thats also a new one on me but hey who am I to argue.
I will be writing pro formas for these policies but just wondered how many of you had heard of this, or indeed have these policies already in place.
Take care
Bev

-----------------------------------------

Unread 02-16-2009, 08:04 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Kathie is on a distinguished road

Did these settings have children with english as a second language or is this a general one to have do you think There are so many you have to put in policies these days its crazy, have just updated ours and added about a million more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 02-17-2009, 12:31 AM

Hi Kathie,
No they didn't have any foreign children in, nor have they ever. We are beginning to have a slight rise in polish children in the area so maybe that accounted for it.
Bev
Unread 02-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Brandy is on a distinguished road

we have a seperate policy for racial equality. we have eal in our inclusion policy do we really need a seperate one as well, we also have anti bullying in our behaviour policy we already have loads of policies will need another folder soon!
Unread 02-17-2009, 10:03 AM

I know, its ridiculous. At the last count we had pro formas for 46 policies. This is something we aim to take up with Ofsted because its often easier to deal with the issues in one comprehensive policy for say behaviour than have lots of little off shoots that staff get confused with.
Will let you know how we get on
Bev
Unread 02-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

sarahcentral is on a distinguished road

I am in the process of re-writing ours are here are yet more!! We have a lot of EAL children so another policy I feel! LOL
Unread 02-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

may is on a distinguished road

any ideas how to update all policies in keeping in with the EYFS? Are the changes major?
Unread 02-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

sarahcentral is on a distinguished road

We bought a copy of the PSLA new policies they are totally up to date and mention the EYFS parts in each policy, we are using these as a basis, I think they were about £13.
Unread 02-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sparky is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahcentral View Post
We bought a copy of the PSLA new policies they are totally up to date and mention the EYFS parts in each policy, we are using these as a basis, I think they were about £13.
We've just bought the updated version of this and its brilliant. The policies are colour coded and show how they link to the EYFS. When you buy the book you get a code so that you can download updated copies of the policies.

One policy we have just added is for "looked after children" (childen in foster care).
Unread 02-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Kathie is on a distinguished road

I have just updated our policies in line with eyfs, i got the info from family services. What i have done is seperate certain policies into the four principles from a list i was given, not quite sure where she got it from