Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 12-14-2007, 07:33 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

cabin is on a distinguished road

My office is our spare room too!

I like your thinking though - got me wondering if I can spare a bit of room in our store cupboard.. I have space at work.. we have a large room which the children can't use, we just seem to empty our storage into it each day..then pack all back into the cupbaord each day........ what I'm fed up with is the minute I turn my back.. everthing on my table/desk just seems to get 'filed' in a box and stuffed into cupboard in the hurry to get out in time..which just results in me spending extra time next morning sorting it all out again. We've finished now, but we're in on Monday for cleaning/planning etc ~but you've got me 'planning to make room for me' now!!!

Hope you get something sorted - must be the time of year 'cos I feel like giving it all up too................. I've only been in current job for a year, but the staff!!!!!!! they're really hardworking, but not at all 'forward thinking' plus have to be told [b]everthing[b] they need to do everyday!... if only one would use their initiative just once it would be nice. I'm not a 'naggy person' by nature~ but I can see myself turning into one.

xxxx

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-15-2007, 05:53 PM
noah

no office..and papers are stored in the cupboard at work... actually once you thin them out the stuff that needs keeping for a long time takes up little space.. And I too will keep quiet about the rent.. but we do supply all the papertowels etc, and do all the cleaning, but no complaints about our mess , just us about others.
Unread 12-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Air is on a distinguished road

We do not have an office either...and sometime ago I decided not to bring stuff home..ie paperwork...cos my husband had had enough of sharing our home with pre-school files!!....we have a locked filing cabinet in a room that we only have the keys for and this room is where everything is stored...including resources and tables/chairs etc..it is currently a complete mess...but I know where everything is...I think!!
x
Unread 12-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

brown owl is on a distinguished road

We have a mobile sink unit at our setting, that we bought from NES Arnold. We also have to unpack and pack up each day, this sink unit is ok, but the wheels keep falling off, and it is very heavy to move around. We fund rasied for it last year and I think it cost about £200 ish. I wouldn't recommend NES as a company, because we first ordered it back in December last year and it actually was delivered to us round about the end of Jan beg Feb this year!!

We are also in a church hall, and I am not too sure what the actual rent is, but I know it is quite high and that the hand towels are included. Although, there is tallk about putting in hand driers, so my manager/owner has requested that some are put in at child height. Although other people use the hall, we are the main ones.
Unread 01-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

m1sspr0ject is on a distinguished road
Default church halls and an office

i used to work in a church hall Pre- School and my boss was allowed to use a small room as a sort of office. However she had to be careful what she left in there, as it was made clear that the room could only become a sort of office it was comunal. So now anyone who uses the hall can use the office type room.
Unread 01-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

m1sspr0ject is on a distinguished road

know this post was a while ago but if anyone has trouble with staff and using their own innitiative. try not asking them to do stuff for a short time, then when they don't do what is expected of them just bring it to their attention. you might need to say in a staff meeting that you want staff to try and use their innitative more and give examples. try during the meeting to do fun activities that involve them using their inntiative to solve problems and think more. if all else fails them a one to one chat with individuals is required.