Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

Handbook support for work based learners undertaking level 3 Early Years Educator

Unread 11-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

jenni2777 is on a distinguished road
Smile help needed 15 minute psrn

can anyone help me ive been asked to plan 10 adult led 15 minute activities for a group of children aged 2-4 years in problem solving,reasoning and numeracy.im running out of ideas .has anyone got any suggestions? please

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-07-2010, 02:20 PM

recyclingmadhouse is on a distinguished road

Jigsaws , Locks and keys , a washing line pegs with numbers to peg on if you go to twinkl.co.uk they have clothes with numbers on to print. Button sorting the list is endless really check the EYFS goals you wish to get through activities and plan to it. Something just like counting children , or shapes 2D cut large shapes and do hand prints or something on them , 3D shapes Junk modeling etc. Hope this helps
Unread 11-07-2010, 02:35 PM

Smile

thankyou.i was thinking of sorting shells and pebbles into different coloured containers. any ideas to add for the next steps?
Unread 11-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

ray is on a distinguished road

I did a number treasure hunt in the garden . .. . . . I hid several little pretend packages with number labels 1 to 10 on them ( or you could do shapes for the younger ones) and then the children had to find them..... we then put them in number order, I actually wrapped them in tin foil and we used little metal detectors to find them but you can do it without. This works equally well if done inside. Remember PSRN is not all number based!!! Findind and sorting hidden objects can work too.... e,g find and sort into baskets/ boxes bricks, cars, dolls ect
Unread 11-07-2010, 03:04 PM

meant to say by doing this you can introduce size language or positional language..e.g You can give clues by saying this number/object in UNDER the LARGE box or IN FRONT of the SMALL box etc these are also covered in PSRN
Unread 11-07-2010, 03:17 PM

recyclingmadhouse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni2777 View Post
thankyou.i was thinking of sorting shells and pebbles into different coloured containers. any ideas to add for the next steps?
As they only 2-4, I would keep it simple unless you do have some brainics mathematicians minded children there , keep it simple, activity one recognising numerals 1 -5 next steps recognising numerals 6- 10 , step one 2d shapes , circles , triangle square , next steps star , rectangle , hexagon etc. introduce 3D shapes.

Look at your children as individuals and plan accordingly, OFSTED would love that.

PSRN is a hard one in EY, but it doesn't need to be hard and you can get it in all areas of learning , Just get lots of numbers around the classroom , for example we tied numbers to ride on bikes , You van then use these by asking the children can you ride number 2 bike for me etc etc , don't stress I bet if you think about it the children are using PSRN in all areas of play , Water play covers the Quantise changing with volumes etc etc.

This is one area I think most EY teams struggle with , so I think you are doing the right thing be planning activities to ensure the targets are in their reach in a fun way. Good luck.
Unread 11-07-2010, 03:38 PM

thanks for your replies .i can think of a few but they all seem too long or not good enough for the age group 2-4 yrs.loving the ideas about the treasure hunt .im thinking of getting different objects say 5 of each mixing them up and sorting them say all cars in one box then shells in another etc then counting them at the end.
Unread 11-07-2010, 04:04 PM

hi i have wriiten out the activites and im now having trouble filling out the sheet for planning.its says "eyfs area of learning and developmnet" would that be psrn? and the its got "aspect of learning" what do i put here ,my assessor isnt very helpful
Unread 11-07-2010, 04:18 PM

Area of Learning is PSRN
I think the Aspect is The Development Matter e.g Numbers As Labels, Numbers for Counting etc
Unread 11-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road
Default Number songs

How about musical statues? -

but when the music stops they have to go to..... a square, a circle or large numbers you have made or you could add coloured shapes numbers etc to extend it

or a singing activity - singing 1,2,3,4,5, once I caught a fish alive and lots of other number songs

or visual number songs such as 5 currant buns - using coins and felt buns on felt board or hand held ones you have made: or another song such as 5 little ducks using duck puppets, soft toys, puppets etc