Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 04-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

nisha is on a distinguished road
Default Cypop 16 3.3 Demonstrate engagement with families of children?

hello again evryone, this one is real teaser n has been causing me headache for the past couple of days, in my optional unit CYPOP 16, learning outcome 3.3, the question is...Demonstrate engagement with families of children who have special eduactional needs in own work setting or service.

My assessor has told me to write a reflective account for this to account for my knowledge even though it says demonstrate as i dont talk to parents about their children with special needs in the setting.

could anyone please give me a guideline on how i could do this, i have searched google but found nothing and i have the CYPW level 3 book by penny tassoni but doesnt cover this unit in it.

your help would be much appreciated, thank you x

-----------------------------------------

Unread 04-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Just a few pointers:

When would you speak to the parents? e.g.concerns you have, about outside agencies, just to share new information, when you feel it is necessary such as what the child has been up to e.g. child may have no communication, if there has been issues within the day that you need to discuss.
Would you speak to a parent with the child present?
How would you speak to them? e.g in their face or a suitable distance, would you give eye contact etc
would you use jargon?
Would you speak to a parent with other mums and dads? or would you speak to them in a quiet area with no one eaves dropping?
how would you speak to a child e.g full sentences or one word more than their own vocabularly?
Reviews/IEP/PLAYPLANS when would you speak to parents? a time suitable for you or a time suitable for the parents?

Hope it gives you ideas

Lynne
Unread 04-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Default cypop 16

thanks ever so much lynne, u have given me some ideas in which i expand on, is this all the questions asking for or is there other things i may need to add? x
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:48 PM

Hi

i actually demonstrated this question so i am unsure of how much or what you write in your reflective account, the information i give you was ideas, could you not write a scenario case of you needing to speak to parent regarding their child or could you watch somebody else do this in your settting and then write a reflective account of this?

Lynne
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:30 PM

yes, that's what my assessor's asked me to do, she's asked me to produce knowledge in the form of a reflective accout. for example, ''in my setting, i don't engage with parents with special educational needs children as i am a volunteer within the setting, therefore it is not in my role to do so, but if i was to engage with families, i would do this by.........''

do u think that sound ok, but im still not managing the concept, i have no text book that covers cypop 16, n finding this unit pretty tough, im sue to finish next month so pressure is on!!!!!
Unread 04-21-2012, 01:02 PM

Hi
from what you have wrote about what your tutor wants you to do this seems fine to me, but really can't understand why you are doing this unit, unless it is of interest to you, or if you want to do this in the future. I choose cypop 16 because i am the SENCO/INCO at work and this would help me to do my job better than before.

Did you not choose your optional units? i know some tutors allow you to choose your own and some choose them for you, my tutor allowed me to choose my own and i went down the pathway of cypop 6 (disability) cypop 15 (communication) and cypop 16 (senco) and because i was 1credit off i choose cypop 4 (physical) and this has helped me within my job role as a SENCO/INCO and the units came altogether as one (if you know what i mean).

Lynne
Unread 04-21-2012, 03:41 PM

i chose my optional units myself, the units i could choose from were very limited to my setting,as it a sessional nursery, doesn't have babies, doesnt provide meals as it children in morning and afternoon, but the setting does have many children that have special educational needs therefore i chose this unit. along with this i chose, cypop4, cypop 7 and cypop 14 x
Unread 04-21-2012, 03:42 PM

have u completed ur diploma btw x
Unread 04-21-2012, 04:44 PM

Hi

yes i have completed my diploma.
Like you i work in a playgroup which runs term time only 9.15-12.15. I am also interested in bettering myself witin my senco/inco role, can you speak to your senco/inco to gather information, they should have a book with guidelines in that you may find helpfull.

Look at this link it may help you within this unit but i am always willing to help if i can, obviously i can give you pointers with the demonstrate questions but i demonstrated this whilst tutor watched me

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/sen-earl...o-handbook.pdf

here is a link that gives different types of help, have a look at see what you think

Lynne