Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 2 Cert & NVQ

Level 2 Cert & NVQ Level 2 : NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development & Certificate for the Children and Young People's Workforce. Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. This is plagiarism, it risks you failing the course and doesn't help anyone develop their professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 07-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

HazelP is on a distinguished road
Default Help with K2H79

Hello again could anyone help me with the following question
"What are the principles of healthy eating according to the government guidance"
Thanks
Hazel

-----------------------------------------

Unread 07-04-2009, 05:42 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

paula06 is on a distinguished road
According to the goverment guidance:

Children need to be given a balanced of certain foods in order to grow and function properly.

Below are the nutrients needed for healthy eating

Basic children's nutrition
Grains. Grains and starches should form the basis of healthful diet. Offer your child whole grains that are also iron fortified, such as whole-wheat bread and pasta, oatmeal and enriched breakfast cereals. Your child should eat 6 servings (at least 3 from whole grain foods) from this group daily.

Fruits and veggies. Keep plenty of fresh, frozen, canned, and dried fruits on hand but go easy on fruit juice (one serving daily, or 3/4 cup of 100% fruit juice is enough). Vegetables with strong flavors, such as broccoli or Brussels sprouts, are disliked by most children. They enjoy mild-flavored vegetables, such as sweet potatoes, green beans and cooked carrots. Remember to think bright colors for vegetables for their vitamin A content. Aim for 2 servings of fruits and 3 servings of vegetables daily. Try serving a fruit with each meal and a vegetable with lunch and dinner. Children also enjoy finger foods; so try cutting up strawberries, melons, tomatoes and sweet peppers for 'handy' treats. Children should eat five fruit and vegetables a day, in accordance with the government guidelines.

Dairy. Calcium-rich foods are essential for children and adults to build strong bones. Serve low fat (1%) and fat-free dairy products several times a day. Do not restrict fat until after the age of two. Choose cheeses with 2-6 grams of fat per ounce. Other kid-friendly sources of calcium that fall outside of the dairy group include calcium-fortified orange juice and waffles.
• Protein. Protein is essential for growing tissues but is abundant in the American diet, so deficiencies are rare. Serve your family lean meat, chicken, turkey and fish, or dry beans and peas. Your child should consume the equivalent of 6 ounces of meat daily. Peanut butter and eggs count as meat substitutes and are protein-rich. Encourage you child to eat 2 servings each from the milk and meat food groups.

Sugars. If your child's diet is healthy, one daily sweet is fine. Added sugars contribute calories with few nutrients. Check ingredients on nutrition labels. If sugar is listed as one of the first four ingredients, eat that food in moderation. Good dessert choices include angel food cake, frozen yogurt, animal crackers, 100% frozen fruit bars, and vanilla wafers. We all need some healthy fats in the diet. Be sure your child gets most of his/her fats from fish, nuts, and liquid oils such as corn, soybean, canola and olive oil.

Liquids. Offer your child water and nonfat or 1% milk in place of high-calorie, sugary drinks.

Hope this helps.

---------------------------------
Level 3 handbooks on amazon.o.uk
Vegetarian children

http://www.naturalhydrationcouncil.org.uk/
First foods - NHS Sotland
Nutrition matters from healthy promotion agency
Unread 07-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Bean shoot ~~Just sprouting...~~

HazelP is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that !!
Unread 10-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

jessica is on a distinguished road

Hi, I am now doing this question but I'm not sure what I have to do.

The knowledge question is K2H79 Basic nutritional needs of children and the principles of healthy eatingaccording to government guidance.

Do I have to state the functions of food and drink or do I need to write about the 7 food groups and their functions. I am really confused on this and have contacted my tutor but she has not got back to me. Please help if u can x