Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Preschool themes and topics > Planning activities themes and topics for preschool early years > Feelings & emotions

Feelings & emotions Sadness, happiness, tears & smiles..... the huge range of emotions and their effects can be a very interesting theme - what have you done to explore these aspects...

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 12-20-2008, 03:21 AM
dianne

General question Any suggestions for a simple activity?

In the new year my assessor wants me to do an activity with the 2/3 year olds in my playgroup. It as to promote emotions, im not sure if to do it at circle time or to do it with a small group. (Im swaying towards a small group). Any suggestions would be greatfully excepted. Thanks.

-----------------------------------------

Unread 12-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Happy sad snowflakes ? Thinking more individual craft activities but done as a small group. Use paper plates, doiley, glitter and sprinkles to decorate and chunky blue wool to make balls for eyes, smiles / sad face ... and to hang the snowflakes. Use conversation openers about snow & winter - how the children enjoy the look - colour, texture, feel and temperature. How they may think others enjoy or dislike the time of year - what they don't like about snow .. Happy sad Raindrops could be an alternative ..

If needed you can evidence the promotion of emotions by writing comments and events of the activity on the back of the plate.

xx

Merry Christmas :santahat:
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 12-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

Mini is on a distinguished road

I did something similar with a small group (8 children) with happy/sad paper plate faces.
First asked children to show me happy face then sad face (as not all children know meaning of words) then we:
decorated faces happy/sad then asked each child what made them happy/sad and scribed on back of plate.
During circle time later in day asked group if they could remember what made them happy or sad and then asked why? Some super answers - also scribed these on the back of their plates.
Unread 12-22-2008, 01:46 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

sally23 is on a distinguished road

I laminated some emotion cards (not sure where from) and put them in a basket in the middle of a circle, I then asked each child to pick one and we tried to guess what it was; happy, sad, frightened, shy etc we then we talked about what made them feel that way. We then got up and moved around the room acting out different emotions or you could sing the song 'if your happy and you know it' and do each verse to a different emotion
Unread 12-22-2008, 04:05 PM
topaz glam

You could also look at emotions through role play.
Set up a doctors for example & get children to think about how they feel when they go to the doctors, how they feel after.
You could also do a circle time activity & read a book which talks about how the characters feel & then discuss the book & the emotions during the story & after.
Unread 12-26-2008, 02:13 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

MissHayley is on a distinguished road

I did something similar, I sang the song "If Your Happy & You Know It" and I got the children to draw how they felt onto paper plates. Sorry if this isn't much help :]