Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools level 3 course handbook

Unread 06-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road
Default Case study on Roberts Hands

Hi Everyone
I think i'm going mad. I am tracking back through work that i have missed doing and am a bit confused with this!
I am woking on cyp 3.2.
3.1. Explain the features of an environment or service that promotes the development of children and young people.

I am doing okay but need guidance on:
Meeting individual and group needs- in the book i have it says refer to Roberts hand preference above but have looked on page above and can't seem to see it on the page (think i might need glasses or overworked). I have put a search on the internet and have found a little bit about a child around the age of 2-3 usually starts to show which hand they are beggining to use more(left or right) and it says that a child can change their hand preference up until the age of 6 and if a child uses the same hand when they are very young it could be due to them having problems with the hand that they are not using (could be a concern).

Is this what they are referring to and if so how can i get more info on it, any websites ideas?.
Any other help for this question would be appreciatted for some reason it sounds simple but can't really gat my head around (think my brain has turned into jelly)

Lynne

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-21-2011, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Hi, it appears this is referencing the case study example in the heinemann lv 3 C&YPW diploma book - pg 88.

In summary, it explains how a practitioner recognises that they have little evidence to support knowing if Robert has established a hand preference - left or right.

The practitioner then demonstrates that knowing this information about Robert is important to her as the text continues to explain how she then "plans a series of activities to strengthen hand preferences" possibly believing or feeling that he has not yet formed a solid hand preference, that he should of, that something is wrong if he hasn't, that the setting/practitioner should be in possession of this type of information, that others will expect the setting/practitioner to have this knowledge, there is medical or developmental concern, or that she feels Robert truly has limited opportunities to explore his handedness.

Robert is quoted as being 3 years old

Two or dual handed activities are utilised in a direct way to include and support his interests - previously identified as water play and helping out.

An invitation to help wash up the beakers at a snack time is given by the adult to Robert and "a couple of other children"

Robert then naturally demonstrates his propensity of hand choice and has one of his hands - not identified in the case study, to hold the beaker whilst the other wipes out the inside of the same beaker with a sponge and water.

Two handed activities that support 'strengthening hand preference' involve events where one hand takes on the role of balancing or stabilising and the other hand conducts, in addition to balancing and stabilising, more focussed and intricate movements in order to complete the activity or reach a stage of personal accomplishment.

One hand/arm may perform gross motor activity, supporting the child's body, weight, position & stability or an object, and the other hand, whilst also balancing, holding, stabalising then moves on to add finer motor skill activity to the actions helping build dexterity, cognitive development, understanding, reason, purpose, creativity, culminating it would be hoped in positive, pleasing outcomes.

EG:
  • Holding a toothbrush steady with one hand - holding a toothpaste tube steady with the other, squeezing and directing the paste onto the brush.
  • Holding paper with one hand - holding scissors, positioning and making a cut with the other..
  • Holding paper - holding a mark making tool and manouvering it to create an expression
  • Holding a sheet of backing paper - picking, peeling and removing stickers
  • Holding a stair rail - reaching out to touch a picture ..
  • Holding a bucket - holding a shovel, manouvering to dig, tip, fill, pat, compact the contents of the bucket ..
  • Hanging from a climbing bar - reaching out and taking grip of the next..
  • Holding a book - turning a page
  • Holding a banana - peeling the skin
  • Holding a sandwich - removing something from inside ..
  • Hold an envelope - hold & open the envelope, remove the contents
  • Stabilise a slice of bread - holding a knife and spreading a topping
  • Holding a paint pot - holding a brush, inserting it into the pot, loading it with the contents, manouvering it to create art
  • Holding a mixing bowl - holding a spoon and continuing on to mix the ingredients/contents inside the bowl
  • Holding a carrot - holding a knife, manouvering the knife to make a cut/impression.
  • Holding a piece of aida - holding a threaded needle and passing it through the gaps in aida.
  • Holding a door handle - inserting a key into the door lock
  • Holding a shape sorter container - holding a shaped piece, positioning and inserting the piece into the container - money boxes
  • Holding a cup - holding a full bottle, lifting, tipping and pouring inside the cup.
  • Holding the wheel of a sit n ride - holding the beeper, pressing to create a sound. supporting handedness may depend where the horn is positioned on the toy. Ease of squeezing/ringing may override a hand preference if the horn/bell is located closer to one hand than the other.
  • Holding the bar of a shopping trolley - selecting, holding goods to place inside the trolley.
  • Holding a spray bottle - holding and operating the trigger and directing the spray.
  • Holding a bottle of bubbles - holding a bubble wand, dipping into and removing from the bottle's contents, lining up the wand to direct a gentle blow through the circular/shaped middle.
  • Holding a pot - holding the pot's lid, gripping, twisting to remove, tighten or loosen.
  • Hold the handle of an umbrella - hold or press the umbrella's latch mechanism and open/close the brolly canopy.
  • Hold and position an item on a fridge - select and position a securing magnet
  • Hold a bar of chocolate - unwrap, break off a chunk, eat
Handedness from wikipedia

Teaching left handed writers

I hope this helps a little xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 06-21-2011, 04:20 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Hi
Thanks very much this source is from the Penni Tessori book for the level 3 diploma. It referenced in the book about it being above but couldn't find it anywhere on the page so was unsure what it meant and was unsure when i searched it on google.

This now makes a little sense because it is under the section:
Meeting individual and group needs- so they where meeting his individual needs.

Many thanks
Lynne
Unread 05-30-2014, 04:14 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Sofia#1 is on a distinguished road

this link can help as well:
http://www.educationscotland.gov.uk/...cm4-637901.pdf

hope it helps x