Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > EYs Foundation Degree

EYs Foundation Degree Please use this forum to discuss the Foundation Degree ... assignment queries, integration of information into practice and other areas of learning ..

Discover the different ways that children learn

Unread 10-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

MissHayley is on a distinguished road
Default :-( Wanting To Give Up! :-(

Hey Guys

I really want to give up with my Foundation Degree and I hve only been on it about a month now =(

Just wondered if anyone could help me with some of my outcomes on Early Years Curriculum?

Thanks in advance

-----------------------------------------

Unread 10-21-2010, 07:38 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

i was at a meeting with my mentees today and they all felt like this it is a normal first half term feeling and will pass, they re all incredibly skilled practitioners. do you not have a mentor who can guide you? i worry that people arent advised well esp with the Ou who seem to do no pre course assessment. a degree is ****** hard work! BUT if you have a role where you can reflect to a degree level and the english skills to write academically you will be ok! i know it doesn't seem like it now. what exactly do you need to know?
Unread 10-21-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutu View Post
i was at a meeting with my mentees today and they all felt like this it is a normal first half term feeling and will pass, they re all incredibly skilled practitioners. do you not have a mentor who can guide you? i worry that people arent advised well esp with the Ou who seem to do no pre course assessment. a degree is ****** hard work! BUT if you have a role where you can reflect to a degree level and the english skills to write academically you will be ok! i know it doesn't seem like it now. what exactly do you need to know?
I have asked for help and am getting nowhere, I have mailed tutors and they not responding :-(

Just really struggling with each esssay I been given to do..

I got four essays t hand in before Christmas and a presintation and with that I just want to cry and quit =(
Unread 10-21-2010, 08:08 PM

are you going to college or distance learning? if it is distance learning then can you change to a course when you can go in an get support from the other learners? the best way students cope is by being with others in the same boat. have you got the textbooks and the guidance from the uni?
Don't think about 4 essays just deal with one. tackle just the one thing at a time, make a plan for it, plan time to do the reading, you WILL NOT be able to write any assignment without the research and knowledge. then just try to do the intro. choose the one you are most confident about even if it just a bit confident!
Unread 10-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHayley View Post
Hey Guys

I really want to give up with my Foundation Degree and I hve only been on it about a month now =(

Just wondered if anyone could help me with some of my outcomes on Early Years Curriculum?

Thanks in advance
If you are unable to get hold of a tutor or mentor, for the time being, email, meet or telephone another student on the same course. They well be feeling just as you are and talking it over with someone who understands may well help you both.
As soon as you go into university next, either speak to the lecturer before or after your lecture. They will make sure that you are given support, they won't let you leave until they know it is there.

There are always people that drop out for a variety of reasons, some can't do the work, some feel they can't do the work for whatever reason; but before giving up try and look at all your options.

Sometimes, it does feel like it's all too much, but it will get better. You will become more organised in your thinking, you will find a writing style that suits you and you will start to look forward to researching.

You are adjusting to a new routine, a new way of thinking and learning and it won't be easy at first. Give yourself a couple of days off to clear your head and you may well feel much better about it all after a break.
Unread 10-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation

Remembering all the reasons you wanted to have this qualification will help you sort this, you've great replies I wanted to add a hang on in there xx
the cost of ad blockers
Unread 10-23-2010, 06:56 PM

Thanks everyone :-) I am tacking my Early Years Curriculum first.. I have to produce a portfolio of four thousand words.

These are my outcomes:

1. Demonstrate knowledge and awareness of the skills needed for different pedagogical approaches - Am I right to say I'd talk about the six outcomes and what theory links in with it?

2. Demonstrate the ability to apply multiple perspectives to early childhood curricula - With this I talk about the intionationelle side of things like i.e. What the EYFS is like in other countries?

3. Recognise and evaluate the impact of legislation and policy on practice - Also with this would I talk how the EYFS has hanged from when it was first ECM and say about how there more parental involvement now?

4. Discuss and evaluate the importance of working collaboratively with parents - And this obviously weigh up the importance of working collaboratively with parents i.e good communication etc?

Could you please tell me if am going the right way about this?

Thanks again and sorry to bore you all to death lol x
Unread 10-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Heidi is on a distinguished road

Hi Hayley,

I'm glad to see you are still on your course.
Although I have a degree, eyp etc, I wouldn't want to point you in the wrong direction. I think any of us would need to be in your lectures, to know your criteria, to really know what your course is expecting from you.

It's your first year and possibly your first assignment?
If so, I am sure if you stick to the criteria and remember to link to theories and academic references, your assignment/portfolio will pass.

You will/may have been told not to use wikipedia (not reliable) websites are good for researching and one or two may be permitted on your bibliography/reference list, but they really want to see you using academic references - books and journals; and they don't want you to reference from magazines, even though they know students may read Nursery World etc for current information, ideas etc. You will need to get an assignment or two under you belt before you have a 'feel' of your writing style.

One thing I can see you are doing already is planning, you've broken up your 4,000 word portfolio into four sections - roughly 1,000 words per section.

It's your portfolio and you'll find out when assignments are returned to students, they will all be different.

It's your learning, so you'll need to do the research and have confidence in it - although I know it's always hard to start off with, but it looks as if you are making a good start. Everyone will have their own style, some students like to start their assignment early, I preferred to take all the lectures in, and researched and read and started my assignment a week before - it worked for me as I felt I had every morsel I needed to write in my style; others felt happy to add if needed. Buying a few second hand books that you can use again and again from Amazon or other second hand sites is useful - look at your reading list and you'll find some of them come up again and again.

Remember don't put yourself under too much pressure - a pass is a pass. Try and keep a balance between all parts of your life. It will be hard juggling work, a degree and a family or single social life, but time does pass quicker than you think.

Try and enjoy the lectures, take part in the discussions and remember all settings and people are different so don't worry if you feel yourself and your setting is different to everyone else's - because you are.
Unread 10-23-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHayley View Post
Thanks everyone :-) I am tacking my Early Years Curriculum first.. I have to produce a portfolio of four thousand words.

These are my outcomes:

1. Demonstrate knowledge and awareness of the skills needed for different pedagogical approaches - Am I right to say I'd talk about the six outcomes and what theory links in with it?

2. Demonstrate the ability to apply multiple perspectives to early childhood curricula - With this I talk about the intionationelle side of things like i.e. What the EYFS is like in other countries?

3. Recognise and evaluate the impact of legislation and policy on practice - Also with this would I talk how the EYFS has hanged from when it was first ECM and say about how there more parental involvement now?

4. Discuss and evaluate the importance of working collaboratively with parents - And this obviously weigh up the importance of working collaboratively with parents i.e good communication etc?

Could you please tell me if am going the right way about this?

Thanks again and sorry to bore you all to death lol x
i would break it down into 4 parts one section each and approach them individually then you wont feel so overwhelmed. as heidi says do no use wikipedia focus on the eyfs and DO NOT quote nursery world it is way below level 4 you should be using EYE magazine not NW.

look at your reading list and get the essential readings. then maybe one other text per subject. AND use your tutor she is getting paid to support you! who are you doing it with??
Unread 10-24-2010, 05:11 PM

I have mailed my tutor and I got no responce

The awarding body is Hull University?

x