Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Early Learning activities

Early Learning activities A place to share information and request ideas relating to EY's activities

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 06-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Ruthierhyme has disabled reputation
Notebook Colouring pictures ~ Yes or No

Having just been somewhat saddened by an email that states the whole of a county within England does not promote the use of colouring pictures and in line with this silkysteps resources will not be recommended.

So it seems .. never mind marmite or liquorice .. is it colouring pictures love them or hate them ..?

:soapbox: kicking off a soap box debate

Is it appropriate to banish a resource due to adult - lay or professional, opinion, knowledge and understanding?

Personally, in contrast to the continuous supply of blank paper available to me as a child I still adored colouring pictures, they gave a frame, border and inner space to practice shading, mixing, blending, they invited experimentation with colour matching, provided an ambition for what was possible on paper and actively motivated the use of books for reference and research .. what colour the flower is, its name, specie.. what diversity exists in the colouring of rabbits..

The finished article bore representational qualities, resemblance and shape that even as a young child I valued, finding colouring pictures both a rewarding and satisfying endeavour.

Much theory today promotes practice that recognises the process of creation over the outcome, or work that focusses on producing an actual product and this is what I support most strongly, not to the exclusion or discrimination against black lined images seeing them removed from early years settings rather their professional inclusion for any child exploring their developing sense of self and the choices on offer to express individuality, creativity and creative learning.

As the paradoxical conundrum examples 'I am unique just like everyone else' :)

Now openly inviting opinion ...

the cost of ad blockers

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-22-2006, 11:50 AM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
Notebook

I am very much behind colouring pictures I think they are a valuable tool for learning about colour, order, shapes, (eventually) precision - long live colouring !! I loved colouring as a child and still do now, it's a great creative outlet and my children love to colour as much as I do!:soapbox:

How can they 'stifle' creativity when you can colour the picture any way you want to, then colour the same image thousands of times and still not have 2 the same?!?!?!?! It doesn't have to be finished there and then, so a child can go back and add to their masterpiece at any time.

While I appreciate that children get bored with things that they utilise too often, an opportunity for fun learning that doesn't have a rigid 'rule' is a rare commodity and we shouldn't let it go!

Right, steam vented, I'm gonna abseil off this huge soapbox now!
Unread 06-22-2006, 02:00 PM
Patsy

Why not colouring in?as long as they have plain paper on hand to free draw at the same time.at times one wonders where life is going.
Im about the oldest if not the oldest on site and I still enjoy colourin.shes giong senile I hear some of you say.
Put the same picture out for 30 children and no two will do exactly the same.
Unread 06-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

jelleybabe is on a distinguished road
I like colouring with the children and they enjoy it when a member of staff sits with them colouring as well. You can get loads of discussion about the picture, it is useful to see how well they can colour within the lines, helps with pencil control and fine motor skills.

Sarah
Unread 06-22-2006, 06:11 PM
rosies

Hi everyone this is my very first post this looks like a really good forum. I would just like to add to the above. Our children love colouring in. We have different colouring in sheets every week which I either draw myself or pinch from somewhere else. The sheets always match the theme we are following and include the name or relevent word of the subject they are colouring. It highlights the first letter in capital and small letter. The children practise pencil control and hand/eye co-ordination. They always have plain paper too. I think they gain lots from this activity and we would not be without it.
Unread 06-22-2006, 06:20 PM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Toadess is on a distinguished road
colouring

I have sat with a little boy today, who how shall I put this... can be challenging if not VERY demanding!!
Our theme this week is Nursery rhymes today being "Hey diddle diddle" The boy sat for a very long time colouring in the picture, taking so much time and effort choosing his coloured pencils/crayons, ensuring he stayed within the lines, being polite and sharing with his peers. And like you said the table was never empty with children who enjoyed, and join in discussions about the activity and other items,(Mum likes wine in bed?? ) everything was so calm, even saying the nursery rhyme, and no two pictures were the same. I myself found it very theraputic.
I also feel very guilty when I extend the activity with a colouring picture, When people say "You use colouring pictures?" shock horror!!! :starry-ey There is like you say some plain paper so the more creative can draw their own or even try to copy.
When I was little it was great if you got a colouring book and pencils. (I'm I showing my age now???):blush:
Unread 06-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

suewhit is on a distinguished road

i personally think as part of the mark making area as continous provision that the child can access freely if they should wish , there is definately a place for them. We add them as an enhancement to compliment the childrens own learning e.g one of our children is mobile phone mad a button presser but beginning to rec numerals. we put some make your own to colour and cut out with large numbers on them (crayola site) children who wished to used them . they phoned home language and role play it introduced number rec for those who wanted to give it a go, they used mark making skills and also good scissor skills. As a self initiated task with adult help to extend where needed whats wrong with that?
sue
Unread 06-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

Chloe is on a distinguished road
Default Colouring

On a course (a year ago!) we were told that colouring in was a no no.Let the child do their own drawing as you can learn far more than giving a child a picture to colour in. To-day at the mother and toddler group gave the children pens,plain paper the older ones were drawing pictures ie flowers and my charge was doing circles,thats a van he said then he told me he was doing a letter for his Daddy,lots of straight lines in a row,he was thrilled and then asked me if I could make a fan!
Unread 06-23-2006, 07:26 AM
cybertwin

we have a table on with coluring pictures and plain paper, and lots of the time the children will ask for a picture to be drawn so they can colur it in
Unread 06-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Blossom

Thank you

I agree
If colouring pictures aren't provided we find children often ask us to draw a picture to colour.
We also provide plain paper, lots of mark making equipment etc. But find that colouring sheets are in demand and as said in the previous posts they open up lots of discussion.