Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Parent Partnerships

Parent Partnerships Early Years interviews, appraisals, building partnerships with parents, carers and your local extended community. Share ideas to help support staff in working together and in identifying stakeholders. Please use this forum to discuss solutions, problem solving and linking experiences ...

Car journeys, beach time or under the shade of a garden canopy, enjoy  Amazon's Audible anywhere

Unread 02-28-2010, 11:34 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

DizzyDora is on a distinguished road
Default Playworker problems!!!!

We are a very small team myself, deputy and 2 playworkers. The playworkers are becoming increasingly difficult. I was off last week and i got feedback that 1 was using her mobile phone while with the children! We have a no mobiles policy (is that reasonable?)
A few months back the other told a parent her son stank! and prior to that she said to another parent " i know there's something wrong with him but what"! To both I suggested it wasn't very tactful thankfully neither parent complained, how can i encourage proffessionalism neither seem to observe what other staff do they both seem to go around with blinkers on as though they are perfect! My problem is the pair of them are prone to not speak for a couple of days after been spoken to!! making life v difficult. Someone suggested i should tell them we may have to consider their position!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 03-01-2010, 06:50 PM
~~ Always willing to help...~~

tutu is on a distinguished road

start a disciplinary procedure and then get rid of them. if they cant meet the basic requirements of manners and support then they shouldn't be working with parents and children. disciplinary is easy just follow the guidelines you cannot encourage professionalism by ignoring it and hooping they suddenly improve, they wont. disciplinary is clear and professional.
Unread 03-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Duckling ~~always taking the plunge ...~~

Karen C is on a distinguished road

hmmm be carefull with the way you approach disciplinarys, you could end up with a battle on your hands as you have no written complaints etc. I would suggest an informal chat which you could give them a time frame to work on their behaviour and just explain your concerns and what you expect etc.

That way you are giving them a fair chance and you can talk about ways you could support them ie workshops etc. You could state that this chat is informal but if they do not improve within the time frame given and clearly state what and where they need to improve, that it could lead to disciplinary procedures which would stay on their file for 12 months (Which know one wants). That is personally the way I would go about this matter and it also shows that as a setting you are supporting your practitioners and allowing them and the setting to be reflective (part of the the EYFS) whilst also supporting your staff by offering training.
Unread 03-02-2010, 07:52 AM

glasses girl is on a distinguished road

Do you do performance management/appraisals?
That could be a way of sorting out your problems and helping staff members to focus on their performance.
Unread 03-02-2010, 11:31 AM

Thanks for the input. We have performance management coming up so i'm going to tactfully broach the subject and get a target put in their PMs and just hope they don't stop speaking to me!!!!
Unread 03-02-2010, 02:59 PM

I don't envy you, it's really difficult when you all work so closely together, inevitably any conflict causes an atmosphere. I've been there many times!!!
Unread 03-02-2010, 07:30 PM

Phew glad I'm not the only one! Think her mouth runs away with her sometimes she's so nosy.
In your setting who deals with speaking to parents i feel it shouild be my job and if staff feel that parents need to be spoken to staff need to discuss it with me first then either i will do it or ask the staff member if appropriate is this unreasonable?
Unread 03-03-2010, 08:01 AM

We have a staff of six on duty each session. If it's a case of just sharing general info ie. What their child has been doing that session, passing messages from school,accident forms etc, then that's ok to talk to parents, especially for EYFS children and their key workers. However if it is more about behaviour issues I feel I should know and I usually speak to parents and liase with school. That's the theory HOWEVER, one or two members of staff talk to the parents in a social way (nothing to do with the children) or, because they work in school share what the child has been doing in class and even try to give teaching advice! I have made it clear that they should not. It bugs the h--- out of me and it's work in progress!
Well, that opened the floodgates, didn't it?
X
Unread 03-03-2010, 08:43 AM

Glasses girl glad you opened the floodgates that really helped to know others get the same problems. I think i confused the issue a tad in my post! My Playworkers sign children out and etc like you do. But like you i feel important matters i need to deal with and i wish staff would speak to me first and keep a professional hat on rather than a social one. Like you say it's a work in progress!