Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Work in general

Work in general Relax, pull up a chair & chat with friends about life in general and work within the early years sector

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 06-02-2006, 02:24 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
Wide Eyed HELP!!! Birds & Bees alert!!

HELP!!! Raymond, my 6 1/2 year old has just asked again about where babies come from! And he said "I know it's not storks, cabbage patches or umbrella-baskets like in the Grinch!" :scared: :tongue-ti I fobbed him off by saying we'd wait for Dad to come home and then we'd discuss it. Help!! I was older when I found out, I was hoping for a few more years. :sorry: I did buy a book, but when I read it properly, I found it a bit too graphic! What is he capable of comprehending at this age? Will he be grossed out? Will it scar him for life? (lol) I really need advice pals......

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-02-2006, 04:00 PM
stacey

hiya

well I would say if you fob him off with a silly story he will no your not telling him the truth and therefore ask again until he is satisfied, how about somthing like well when a mam and dad really love eachother and decide to have a baby they make love and therefore when he asks what this means just say its just lots of kissing then god realises they want a baby and lets the baby have a baby in her tummy, this is what my friend told her lil girl, thereofre she did not lie just twisted the meaning of it

hope this helps

stace xxx
Unread 06-02-2006, 04:12 PM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

FARLEYS is on a distinguished road

When I was growing up I was never explained about the birds and the bees. When I started my period at the age of 10 I didn't know what was happening to me, I got home from school and showed my mum my pants and she slapped me around the face and told me I was dirty. I never wanted my children to feel the way I did, I wanted them to be able to come to me and feel comfortable asking about anything. When my husband got skin cancer 3 years ago and was in and out of hospital for different treatment at the same time my sister had TB and all of my family were being treated for that, I didn't know how to explain what was happening to my 3 young children who at the time were 8,7, and 4. A very good friend of mine lent me a book by Dr, Miriam Stoppard called Questions Children Ask & how to answer them. Although I don't agree with all of the book, it helped me to look at things from their ages, helped me choose how much or how little to tell them, what language to use so they would understand. It really helped me then and now my children are 11,10 and 7 they are also asking questions about babies etc and again this book is very helpful. The older two just read the book then asked me questions, which made them feel very grown up. The book splits answers into 4 levels, answers for ages 2-4, ages 4-6, ages 6-8 and for ages 8-11.
Hope this is some help, but best advice is to be honest, give honest answers as much as you can, make sure they don't feel silly or embarrassed for asking them. Be proud of yourself that they are comfortable enough to ask you. Its better that he knows the truth than to believe what other children will be telling him at school. You know your own children so will know how much to tell, you don't have to go into too much detail to satisfy curiosity at that age. I'm sure the words I used was something along the lines of when two people love eachother and want to have a baby together they have a special cuddle where a special seed from daddy and a special egg from mummy are joined together in mummys tummy to make a baby and keep it safe and warm until it is ready to be born. My children were happy with that, not too much detail but enough too satisfy their little minds until they were ready for more details. While I quickly read all the books possible on the subject so I was ready for further questions!!
FARLEYS
Unread 06-02-2006, 08:27 PM

Miss Muffet is on a distinguished road
Highfive

Thanks for the help. Farleys, I was so shocked to read what had happened to you! I just have to approach from a slightly different tack with my kiddies being adopted! I did manage to fob Raymond off the first time he asked (on the first ever night he stayed over with us during introductions!!!) by telling him that because DH and I couldn't actually have children of our own we didn't know and we would find out and get back to him!!! :blush: The lies we parents sometimes tell!!