Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Policy Procedure & Planning

Policy Procedure & Planning Preschool Nursery and Early years policy, procedure and planning discussions. Please use this forum for conversation regarding frameworks, finances, fees and the organisation of a childcare setting's paperwork

New level 2 Diploma for Early Years Practitioner textbook

Unread 11-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Lymeleader

Default mini themes

Hi, all
Since the eyfs has been introduced,I have been following all the childrens interests and putting this into my planning for thier next steps, as we were told on all our eyfs courses we do no longer have themes.I have now been told we can have mini themes, how long do these last, and do we intoduce them or the go on the childrens interests to promote these themes.
I am so confused.We also do daily planning,following the childrens interests for the next day.We have now been told to do weekly plans, and change and amend the planning in the middle of the week if the childrens lose interest in the activities we provide.
help!!!!!

-----------------------------------------

Unread 11-27-2008, 05:23 PM
noah

Mini themes.. we have been using this method for a long time.. we tend to follow the childrens interest and use their ideas or observations of play to extend what they are doing.. length of time depends on the childen and how much they respond to our input.

If we find the children have no particular interests we introduce a book or a toy and then they help us develop a theme from this.. or we begin to develop it and change it as the children dictate.. not quite the right word.. perhaps it be to their needs!

we also use mini topics for celebrations etc and introduce these as we need to.. these are usually a week long unless the children are so inspired it can be longer.

we still plan almost daily, cannot see any point in spending time and effort on something you will change mid week anyway.. or even the same day!

Planning is so personal to your setting, staff and children.. what one person says do is highly likely not to work for you.. we believe that is you can justify and explain what you are doing, that it benefits the children, then no reason to keep changing everything. We find that it changes with different children and new staff and cannot actually have one complete formula which will work all the time..

Think the children's needs is the key here and if you can show how you are covering them then no one is right or wrong.
Unread 11-27-2008, 06:17 PM
Lymeleader

Default mini themes

thanks for that that is what i am doing extending their interests every day, on the "theme" the child is interested in.
I think she must have meant mini topics,which we cover any way.
so i am doing it right i think?!?
Unread 11-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

sarahnev707 is on a distinguished road

I think there's a big difference between what someone actually does when they are working with children... and what someone advises when paid to go and spout about what Ofsted do and do not want to see.

Ofsted have not given us clear guidance on what they want to see... it is for us to make up as we go along and hopefully come up with something which is workable and sustainable week after week.

If your planning is working for you, then why jump through hoops to change it all? What possible benefit will that have for the children? If someone advises you to try a different way, then surely you take their advice, consider it carefully and decide whether to follow it or not?
Unread 12-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Horse chestnut ~~revealing great treasures...~~

m1sspr0ject is on a distinguished road

we have started doing weekly topics. Tt the end of our plans there is a space called further development and childrens interests. In this space we write if there is anything we need to go over which the children need a little work on such numbers or letters. we also put down if a child particulary enjoyed an activity or mentioned about taking it further or doing something else. Each week i also ask the children give me an idea to go on the plans. Each child gets a turn and once we have done their activity they recieve a certifiacte which says certificate awarded to .............. You had a good idea. I date and sign it the kids love it and so did ofstead this year. When i do the plans and type that activity onto them i put in brackets (activity chosen by ..............) I have a list so that i can make sure everyone gets a turn. it keeps me on my toes as we have had some interesting requests. ive learnt with the kids as well which is great. were making handmade paper next week.