Welcome to Silkysteps forums - early years resources and online community. Please find help and support for preschool planning, ideas and activities for children's play Get in touch for help, resource suggestions and to support the site with a donation
Silkysteps - click to visit the home page Buy & download printable activity ideas for children, young people and adults What's new - find all the latest updates and activity adds Plan ahead with links to England's early years foundation stage framework Shop with amazon.co.uk and meet all your setting's needs

Go Back   Silkysteps early years forum - planning ideas for play > Welcome to silkysteps' Early Years Forum > Early Years Discussion Forums > Training, Qualifications & CPD > Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ

Level 3 Diploma EYE NVQ Level 3 support for: NVQ Children's Care, Learning and Development, Diploma for the Children and Young People's Workforce, England's Early years Educator qualification Please DO NOT COPY and PASTE information from this forum and then submit the work as your own. Plagiarism risks you failing the course and the development of your professional knowledge.

Al about observations, assessments and planning in the Early Years

Unread 06-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Acorn ~~Putting down roots...~~

Welshieschick is on a distinguished road
Default CCLD level 3 Unit 022

I have been asked as part of a task sheet from my assessor to..

"complete a detailed assessment of a child's development in the following areas...physical, communication, intellectual/cognitive, social, emotional and behavioural and moral "

However, as a setting, if we have concerns regarding any of the above, we voice our concerns to the professionals who deal with each of the areas and make a referral for them to undertake the assessment. With the exception of Communication, as I am our setting's Speech and Language Co-ordinator (as well as childcare assistant) and I carry out BRISC assessments and then make referrals to the SALT team but as far as any of the others, like making physical assessments, we have no internal resources to be able to do it.

I thought about doing a small assessment on a child I work with on a one to one basis every week using the Foundation Phase wheel (as I am in Wales) but this is only used in schools and I have recently discovered it is being phased out.

Therefore, I would gratefully accept any help regarding resources that I can use that are relevant in Wales and that I can use for this Unit.

Many thanks

-----------------------------------------

Unread 06-23-2012, 11:31 AM

update..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshieschick View Post
I have been asked as part of a task sheet from my assessor to..

"complete a detailed assessment of a child's development in the following areas...physical, communication, intellectual/cognitive, social, emotional and behavioural and moral "

However, as a setting, if we have concerns regarding any of the above, we voice our concerns to the professionals who deal with each of the areas and make a referral for them to undertake the assessment. With the exception of Communication, as I am our setting's Speech and Language Co-ordinator (as well as childcare assistant) and I carry out BRISC assessments and then make referrals to the SALT team but as far as any of the others, like making physical assessments, we have no internal resources to be able to do it.

I thought about doing a small assessment on a child I work with on a one to one basis every week using the Foundation Phase wheel (as I am in Wales) but this is only used in schools and I have recently discovered it is being phased out.

Therefore, I would gratefully accept any help regarding resources that I can use that are relevant in Wales and that I can use for this Unit.

Many thanks
We do have a SENCO in the setting who also confirmed we do not have the resources internally to do the assessments and that if we have concerns then she will put the wheels in motion for relevant assessments to be made by professionals
Unread 06-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Squirrel ~~hoards of knowledge...~~

lyn c is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We do have a SENCO in the setting who also confirmed we do not have the resources internally to do the assessments and that if we have concerns then she will put the wheels in motion for relevant assessments to be made by professionals
Hi i work in England so this may be different but within our setting we are asked for a detailed report on a certain child/children to help them get a statement with we have to do on the child in question, this details the strenghts and weaknesses of the child e.g. physical may be age stage approp but communication the child may have no communication, i think this is what i used for this question because i wrote the report. Hope it gives you an idea

Lynne
Unread 06-23-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn c View Post
Hi i work in England so this may be different but within our setting we are asked for a detailed report on a certain child/children to help them get a statement with we have to do on the child in question, this details the strenghts and weaknesses of the child e.g. physical may be age stage approp but communication the child may have no communication, i think this is what i used for this question because i wrote the report. Hope it gives you an idea

Lynne
Thanks Lynne, I think I will have to speak to the assessor Monday as the task sheet specifically asks for me to do an assessment then explain and evaluate the methods used as well as implementing a developmental plan for the child assessed, and evaluate and revise the plan as necessary so is quite involved. I am hoping I can use reports I've already written on a child I have on a one to one basis 4 times a week and do as you have mentioned, submit their strengths and weaknesses for each of the elements.

xx
Unread 06-23-2012, 03:33 PM

I have decided to use the development charts I submitted as part of my Unit 022 assignment and write a report based on that information for the child I have already done reports on and have indepth working knowledge of. As I have already done observations and used various types of strategies to develop and support the child, I can probably get it all done over the weekend. Thanks for your help Lynne x

Last edited by Welshieschick : 06-23-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: updated information
Unread 06-23-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I have decided to use the development charts I submitted as part of my Unit 022 assignment and write a report based on that information for the child I have already done reports on and have indepth working knowledge of. As I have already done observations and used various types of strategies to develop and support the child, I can probably get it all done over the weekend. Thanks for your help Lynne x
Hi

have you ever completed an IEP or playplan because you observe the child to find out where they are having difficulties, you then write it in an IEP or playplan to implement this and then you revise the playplan or IEP to make sure it is working and if it isnt you need to relook at it and find another way that may work. you would use the child's interests to make the playplan or IEP work.

Lynne
Unread 06-23-2012, 06:44 PM

I have done some quite extensive work with the child on a one to one basis, they dont have an IEP but does have an IPP which has 3 targets per IPP that I've used in the assignment now and given details as to how effective the strategy was when implemented and am right now just finishing writing up the evaluation and future plan for the child. Thanks for the info Lynne x
Unread 06-23-2012, 06:55 PM

Finished it and emailed to assessor ! A nice drink and a good read is in order!
Unread 06-24-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Finished it and emailed to assessor ! A nice drink and a good read is in order!
Glad you finished well done. i think it is the way some of the questions are worded, if they were worded easier then this course would have been some much easier.

Where abouts in Wales do you come from, many years ago i lived in Tredegar South Wales, my sister still lives there. I am still Very proud to be Welsh

Lynne
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:09 PM

Default Welsh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn c View Post
Glad you finished well done. i think it is the way some of the questions are worded, if they were worded easier then this course would have been some much easier.

Where abouts in Wales do you come from, many years ago i lived in Tredegar South Wales, my sister still lives there. I am still Very proud to be Welsh

Lynne
Hi Lynne

We live in North Wales, in Prestatyn but I am originally from Kent ! Moved here just under 2 years ago !

Michelle x